All bars closed on 24th and 25th July??

I am back home again in OZ now after three great weeks in the LOS. Before I left I asked my bggf what she was going to do and she said she would go and visit her family next week 'cos all the bars would be closed on the 24th and 25th due to Budda holiday.

Can anyone confirm this and sorry to those guys who are just arriving then.

Uniformguy

The 25th is a public holiday, this is the night the bars will be closed. It would be unlikely they will be closed the night before, certainly didn't happen last year.

24th Being Asanha Bucha day and 25th Being Khao Phan Saa (Rains Retreat - the beginning of the Budhhist Lent). EXPECT all bars to be closed. However until this point in time, as far as I am aware, NO police districts have issued instructions as yet (Lumpini, Tong Lor and Pattaya certainly have not).

A lot of people hit the villages (including many BG's) as this is the time when many men hit the temples for three months, there are processions and celebrations by the family for tamboon - not much for the guys to do whilst the rice is growing and it is raining.

Okay, can we have an update? I expect the bars to be closed on Thursday for sure, but Wednesday, also? Would they make them shut down for 2 whole days??? I was planning to relax a little at home on Thursday, but was hoping to stop by someplace Wednesday night for a brew. Will that be possible, does anyone know/

a girl working barbeer pty told me today 24 bars open & 25 almost all closed. a few here & there will have after hours operation mode(no/low music, lights off, but drinks served & girls avail)...

well we'll see next few days - better stock up for few days in boze & BG's in all cases...

-chilli!

reported in todays phuket gazette.

Bars, nightclubs urged to close

PHUKET: Police are requesting bar and nightclub owners to close their doors tomorrow and Thursday, out of respect for the religious

holidays.

Pol Col Paween Pongsirin, Superintendent of Phuket Town Police Station, said today, ?We ask only for cooperation from the bar and

nightclub owners in Phuket. It?s not a law or rule.

?It has become customary for Thais not to sell alcohol on religious days. Tomorrow is Asarnha Bucha Day and the day after tomorrow

is a religious day, too [the start of Buddhist Lent]. So I am asking them to close their bars for two days out of respect.?

Col Paween said no charges or fines would be levied on bar owners who decided not to accede to the request, but added it was a

?civil law? that should be adhered to.

If police hear of a place operating over the holidays, Col Paween said, officers would be sent there to request that they close.

The request covers all day tomorrow and Thursday, though nightclubs and bars may remain open until 2 am tonight without drawing

special attention.

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

18:57 local time (GMT +7)

Archived