Credit Report on an Australian

zanemay

I am in the US and my gf is trying to rent out a room. She is favoring an Australian girl who came with a group, is working at some place called "The Adventure Center" and is making a low income. She has recently arrived and has a new US Social Security Number.

The room for rent is not so great so it has been taking the gf quite awhile to show and process. This girl had no problem with it.

Does anyone know how we can check out her credit history. I don't think it would show up under the US SS# would it?

Thanks,

Zane

You could try using this mob - they are they main credit-record reporting agency in Australia, don't know how you would go as a private individual requesting info, perhaps just pretend that you are a real-estate agent over there and that might fool them enough........but they do charge a fee for their services of course.

http://www.baycorpadvantage.com/

SSN Number

Yes, is possible to get one from the states.

You only require a work visa, of any type.

Or, if under 26 yrs of age, can apply under mutual recognition for youg workes which Australia/USA or a party to with many countries.

Cheers

Also international students. Foreign university students can work up to 20 hours per week ON CAMPUS without special permission from Immigration or anything other than a student visa (note that that's ON CAMPUS ONLY), and they have to have an SS# with which to pay taxes. And if a foreign student is receiving any sort of scholarship from inside the U.S., it is taxable, and once again the student has to have an SS# to pay taxes. This is why my Thai wife has an SS#.

I don't know if this relates to the Australian chick, though.

Z,

Why dont you just ask for 4 weeks rent upfront as security, and a further 2 weeks in advance ? This is standard in most rental agreements here in Oz. If she has relocated to the US without enough money to afford that initial bond, I'd suggest that she hasnt thought this through terribly well.

I've shared houses with some absolutely feral Australian women : it hasnt endeared them to me as prospective tenants. Good luck smile.gif

Archived