Digital Camera Purchase - Recommend Please

zanemay

I don't know much about digital cameras. I have seen good reviews for the Sony Cybershot DSC-P30.

I have a 4 yr old IBM Thinkpad. It does not have a USB port to my knowledge. It has a serial port. The camera has USB output connector. I don't want a nightmare when I try to transfer photos to the computer.

What are some recommendations and comments?? I am not hung up on the idea of the Sony camera, but I don't want to spend too much.

FYI: Here are the Sony Specs:

1.3 Megapixels - Zoom: 6 X Digital , 3 X Optical

1.3-megapixel CCD delivers up to 1,280 x 960-pixel resolution images. 12-bit DXP Analog/Digital Conversion for excellent tonal range and highlight detail. 1.5-inch, color LCD monitor. Real image optical viewfinder. 3x, 6.4-19.2mm optical zoom lens with a maximum aperture of f/3.8, equivalent to a 41-123mm lens on a 35mm camera. 2x digital telephoto. High-speed scan autofocus, with five preset focus options and Macro mode. Automatic and Twilight exposure modes. Exposure Compensation from + 2 to - 2 exposure equivalents (EV) in one-third-EV steps Automatic, Indoor, Outdoor, and "Hold" white balance options. Normal and Spot metering modes. Adjustable ISO with Auto, 100, 200, and 400 equivalent settings. Built-in flash with three operating modes, plus a separate Red-Eye Reduction function and adjustable intensity. MPEG EX (Extended) Movie and Clip Motion capture modes (no sound). Standard and High-Quality JPEG, TEXT, E-MAIL, GIF, and uncompressed TIFF file formats. Images saved to Sony Memory Sticks, with 4MB card included. Four Picture Effect modes, including Solarize, Black-and-White, Sepia, and Negative Art. Adjustable Sharpness settings from -2 to +2. Date and Date & Time functions. USB computer connection (cable included) and software CD containing MGI PhotoSuite Versions 8.1 and 1.1, MGI VideoWave III, and USB drivers for Mac and Windows systems. Powered by two AA batteries, or an optional NP-FS11 InfoLITHIUM battery pack with AC adapter/battery charger. NTSC video cable (with PAL option). DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility.

I posed a simular question & forum members appear happy with a variety of brands... & resolutions..

IMHO, You need a USB port & Win 98 to support the USB.. I'd guess that if your laptop came with win 98/me it has a USB.. If it came with win 95 you will need some upgrading.

at worst, a 'PCMIA' ( sp? ) USB adapter + a win 98 upgrade should solve your need of USB. You might want to seek a 'USB 2' if you need the upgrade...USB 2 appears to solve lap top limitations such as small hard drives & slow CD burners..

I've had two sony's so far, and am happy with them.

If possible, go for a higher capacity, such as 3.0 megapixel, really improves the quality. My current one is 3 MPix, and I have some wonderful memories of my LOS trips stored on CD now.

Most sony cameras have good close up, too. You may want that.

You can buy a card that ifts into the (PCMA?) slot in your laptop that accepts the sony memory stick, and treats it like a hrd drive, much easier than USB.

In Panthip, you can get 128 Mb sticks for very resonable price, I think I paid 4k Baht about 4 months ago.

Top of the line Sony is the 707, which allows you to autofocus in total darkness. Now, that could come in handy!

It seems there is a new generation of cameras just on the verge of being released. Nikon just did, Sony will in a few weeks etc. This will (is) driving the prices down.

I just bought the Nikon 885 a 3.34 million pixel camera. Nikon just released there new model in Singapore and the others went down in price.. I paid 700 S$ for it. ( just over 17000B). Here in Bangers the price was between 24500- 25700Baht depending on shop.. The savings for the camera paid for my flight/ hotel in Singapore..

Like others have said I would buy at least a 3Mpixel camera.

A guy in the shop in singapore paid just over 700$ for the sony 3Mpixel camera. The Canon G2 was going for about $1350 Singapore. The canon S30 was about $S850+

All were cheaper than in Bangkok.

The other thing is look for a lithium battery so you dont have to replace the battery with AA or rechargables that will not hold a charge for long.

Best of luck

WYD

I am thinking about the Olympus D-550Zoom which is at Costco for $380. What do you think?

Ccd resolution 3.3 Megapixel

Maximum image resolution 1984 x 1488 pixels

Other resolutions 1984 x 1312 (3:2), 1600 x 1200, 1280 x 960, 1024 x 768, 640 x 480

Digital zoom 3.6x

Optical zoom 2.8x

Mp3 built in No

Lcd panel Yes

Lcd panel size 1.8 in.

Viewfinder Yes

Flash type Built-In

Automatic flash Yes

Red eye reduction Yes

Memory type SmartMedia Card

Memory size 16MB

Compression modes Uncompressed, SuperFine, Fine,Standard

Compression formats JPEG, TIFF, MPEG

Max images in superfine mode 1

Max images in fine mode 7

Max images in standard mode 24

Slr No

Lens type Autofocus & Zoom

35mm equivalent lens 36 - 100 mm

Aperture range f2.9/f4.4 (w/t) - f5.6/f8.6 (w/t)

Focus range 31 in. To infinity

Macro focus range 8 - 31 in.

Frames per second 1.2 Frames

Interface USB

Battery type 4 AA Alkaline, 2 Lithium (LB-01)/ 4 Rechargeable AA Ni-MH/4 AA Lithium/4 Rechargeable AA NiCd/ (Optional)

Dimensions (hxwxd) 2.6 x 4.6 x 1.9 in.

Weight .53 lbs

Included accessories USB cable, NTSC Video Cable, Carrying Strap, 4 AA Alkaline Batteries, 16MB SmartMedia Card, CAMEDIATM Master 4.0 Software

I've had 3 Olympus digitals and have been pleased with them all. Good optics, great Camedia software, quite reesonable pricing. Just got the new C-720 Ultra zoom with 8x optical for about $500 US. More than enough camera for anything I shoot (including great little movies!)

Archived