Wireless Internet

GPRS coverage is still rather patchy in Thailand at the moment even in the big cities like Chaing Mai where I tried it a couple weeks ago. Bangkok and the surounding areas are always good. I haven't been to Poipet though.

Agree SMS sounds simplest for short mail albeit at 9B/message from AIS hp. I have only found success on free web SMS with www.sms.ac to AIS lately, but tend to use my hp now as it's faster and easier to follow replies.

Cheers,

Get yourself a GSM phone PDA combination.

My GF and I both have a Nokia Communicator (I have a 9210 and she has a 9110) and we can communicate with SMS (for short stuff) and with e-mail.

http://www.nokia.com/phones/9110/

http://www.nokia.com/phones/9210/

The phones themselves are not cheap (the 9210 is about $650 US) and you'll need an ISP account for each to be able to use e-mail. Also the 9110 and 9210 do not have GPRS support, which would be really nice to have in such a device. So you might want to wait for their successor that will have it.

The only GPRS ready pda/phone I know of is the Handspring Treo 270. So that might be an option for you. ( www.handspring.com )

I personally like the Nokia's (good keyboard and many apps like ssh) and I'll be getting me another one if the GPRS model comes out.

Regards,

Xenna

Thanks ALL for taking the time to give me some insight into this. Looks like there are at least two options that may be viable. I'm not too keen on making any major capital investments, so the SMS route may be the best way to go. BTW, I tried the SMS route a few days ago and she did not receive the message. According to the site provided above, it may be that she needs to get her phone modified (or there is no capablity to receive messages from outside of Cambodia). I've told her to check with a gal in Poipet who sells mobils (cell phones) and seemed extremely knowledgable when I purchased a phone from her earlier this year. We'll wait and see.

Again, ALL of you...thanks a bunch.

Archived