What? We don't shower?

Fidel

Well, I give! I must answer this thread. I am quite sensitive to smell (I think I posted it once about my sensitivity). However, I met a Thai woman during her PhD?s work here in the States that her sensitivities got involved in daily?s activities, romance and lots more. How we started on the topic was her question ? I really admire any Thai woman who is married to an American, white or black. How do you feel about the body?s odor? Does your husband smell strong? How often does he shower??

I was taken aback for a few seconds, for the truth is, I have not noticed the unusual strong smell from general public except in Germany in the Metro (subway, Washington DC) in summer and sometime in a closed space (please don?t shoot me, German friends out there!). Probing more to find out why those questions were asked and below is the story.

She was forced to stay in a dorm due to the small scholarship was not enough to get a room somewhere else off campus, the musky odor in the old building, bathrooms made her literally sick. After changing many roommates, one last one seemed to be ok but she found that the males, in class or mostly anywhere really stank. She said, ?They may look white but they smell awful!? She said it couldn?t be only the factor of how often they shower; it must be what they eat. She said she could tell whether they just had some cheese, butter or garlic for the previous meal! She was a beautiful women, (aren?t we all?) and a few men were attracted to her, so she dated a few times, however, even though she wanted to she could not go any further because of the odor. The reason, I found out later why she asked because she really liked one the guys and wanted to change herself. I met this man once, I smelled nothing offensive from him, all I saw was his dashing, cute smile (my old age was catching up with me). I told her to rub a dab of VICK or Tiger balm on her nose and she tried. The relationship did not blossom and the only reason was ?I cannot take his smell, I really tried.), sad I thought.

I have been amongst people who respect individualism and the personal problems are dealt with as civil as possible. Personally, my husband?s hygiene is very good except a few times after strenuous physical work such as cutting grass (we have 2 acres) in hot summer, I can smell him coming through the door! To tell him to take a shower is not going to work so what I have done was ?Honey, I am going to run a bath for you, ok? ? One of my American girl friends told me that in winter, she convinced her husband to take shower more often by warming up the towels for him.

Cheers!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived