Bangkok Tailors

In Samui, the work is sent to local Thai workers. I found this out when I wanted to repair a tear in my trousers. I cycled around to find a local person and found rows of Thai men sitting at sewing machines. I handed my trousers to him and he fixed them. I asked how much, he said, "up to you". I gave him 20 baht. he seemed content. While I was there I would see the Indian shopkeepers picking up and dropping off work.

As stated before the trousers were 700 baht.

A lot of the 'Indian' tailors are connected with each other and I see them driving around delivering the work to the tailors.

The tailor that I have recommended does not have a extensive knowledge of the english language.

I haven't ask him to make me the latest 'Hugo Boss' styles, so I do not know of his ability to replicate a suit from a picture.

To be honest, I have never been impressed with any of the clothes that I seen being made from the Indian tailors. They generally look cheap, tacky and ill fitting.

Making replicas from an existing garment should not be a problem for any tailor worth his salt.

You certainly shouldn't expect to pay more than 700 baht or thereabouts for a pair of trousers unless you are using a special cloth(silk, for instance).

I hand selected a stretch material from Body Shop's stock as that was what the original was made of. No extra charge.

As my needs were not so complicated, there were no communication problems.

The Indian shops come into there own in making the business easier for you. They generally speak good english and have the mail order thing off pat.

The tailors in the Tanao road at the east end of the Khaosan road appear to be well regarded by 'middle and higher' class Thais and as such, are not cheap.

Archived