Bangkok Tailors

I've always avoided the Indian tailors shops in BKK but now I need to find some reasonably formal 'work clothes'. Therefore I'm looking for a Bangkok tailor where I can take a shirt and pair of trousers and get 'replicas' made in the same cut.

Does anybody know a reliable place and have any idea of costings?

Any help would be most appreciated

Mart

If you have a favorite tailor shop, or have a good reputable recommendation, maybe start there and ask, and bargin on the price. Or, ask at several places, and shop around for the best "contract" price. I know one guy who had nice cotton/silk "smart" work clothes mmade at the Ambassador shop, and one guy who had a sweat suit duplicated in silk at a place on Soi 15, before the Manhatton, shop around! and then let us know! smile.gif

Well, I've just collected some shirts and a suit from Gulati (corner of Suk and Soi 3) which I am very pleased with so I will give tham a plug.

Reasons I chose them out of all the others is that I have only twice had stuff made here

1) a dinner suit by Gulati 9 years ago which has had reasonable use and still looks fine - I think I had it cleaned about 6 years ago!

2) some trousers and shirts from another place on Suk about 2 years ago opposite the Landmark which was recommended to me. Both pairs of trousers are now living in the village in Buriram!

The other reason I like Gulati is that they don't seem to have any touts at all, nobody hassling you outside, just relaying on their reputation and word of mouth.

Very relaxed, no hard selling, really nice blokes, free beer while you're waiting and everything ready on schedule after 2 fittings. I really like the clothes. Hopefully they will help me get a job back here!!

I paid B6500 for the suit, B1500 for spare trousers and B2000 for 3 shirts with BIG necks so I can actually do up the top button (first time for many years I will have to consider this!) and breath. I didn't haggle - really don't know if I should have. The prices seemed fair enough. Oh, and I got a 'free' silk Thai thrown in!

LG

I just got 3 suits and 2 shirts and an evening dress wing collar shirt made at New World Fashions on Soi 11. Very reasonable as I got discount on the suits and the shirts were thrown in free except the evining one as were the 2 silk ties! All in all about 175 of our wonderful British Pounds worth!

I saw their advert in a magazine in the Marriott and just went there, excellent service and everything ready on time. Oh yes and beer while you wait too!

Taipan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'Body shop' in the Phra Athit road end of Phrasumen road.

Chinese tailor, all work done on site, rather than the 'farming out' by most Indian tailors.

Had some replica trousers made for a girlfriend. First time exact replicas. The second time a year later, she had grown a little so requested another cm or two on the relevant regions. She declared them perfect.

700 baht per pair including cloth.

Tailors in this area are highly regarded by 'well off' Thais.

Have you ever seen a Thai in an Indian tailors.

Of course not!

They know that the clothes are just taken to a local tailor for the work to be done. The so called Indian 'Tailors' are simply cloth sellers and couriers.

I don't want to do anyone out of a living, but this forum is for the sharing of info.

So, there you are.

Hi valentinoxxx,

Can you give me some approx. prices. I'll be there in two weeks, and have some friends that are interested in some custom-made clothing. It's important that I steer them to someone respectable, who will not rip them off.

Are you really certain that most Indian shops simply take the measurments, and then farm the actual work out to Chinese local tailors? I really don't know. I'm just asking.

Thanks...HT

Archived