Visa Electron Cards

Does anyone know if the Visa Electron debit cards offered by Bankgok Bank and others can be used to buy goods over the interenet as a visa credit card could??

TIA

I have a visa electron card and the one time I tried to use it over the Internet I was unable to. I e-mailed the com[pany and was told that they did not accept visa electron cards.

I don't know if this is true for all sites. One of my students is a Bangkok Bank manageress. I will ask her when I next teach her (Wednesday) and hopefully will be able to post a more definitive response then.

I have just been able to open a bank account with Bangkok Bank - a "Be" account I think its called and was told I could use it anywhere the Visa symbol was displayed. By implication that should include internet sites. So will be interesting to find out why the site cant accept it if it displays the Visa symbol.

If I remember right, a condition of Visa membership by banks / merchants etc is that if they display a Visa symbol they should accept any cards with Visa on it.

By the way the account was opened with no work permit. When they asked, I just said I had applied for one ( true ) but they didnt ask for any other confirmation.

Hi there!

A work permit is not needed when opening a bank account in Thailand. Just like you, I bank with Bangkok Bank and I have their VISA-electron card "Be 1st". I can't use it for on-line transactions (although I have not tried for a while).

Straycat

Info from the horses mouth so to speak. I spoke to Bangkok Bank about this when I was in yesterday.

Aparently the get out clause is that the Vendor must not only support Visa but also Visa Electron as the electron requires some special hardware to process the payment. So if a site only gives the Visa symbol, odds are it wont take an Electron card.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived