Origins of Thai language

Brink15

Max,

No not sarcastic. I'm a Systems person, not a programmer. I just thought it was interesting that you represented the strings in 255 bit increments, just like octets. It would make sense that this scheme would be used for character recognition. I just never thought of it before.

Interesting point. smile.gif

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brink just on that keyboard thing. You can also get stickers that have both the Thai and Roman scripts printed on them that you can stick on top of your keys. They are available in Panthip most likely in laptop retailers (since it's not so easy to replace a keyboard on a laptop), that's where I saw them. Does the job and is far less bulky than a keyboard.

Daeng

I would have thought that Sanskrit and Pali would have been used by the Khmer Empire which was Hindu at the time. The Sukhotai court adopted the Khmer (Hindu) court system with Bhramin priests still having an active role in court functions including education.

daeng bireley,

Very interesting posts.

So Khmer is closer to Burmese. Now if I'm not mistaken Khmer is not a tonal language like Thai. Is this true of Burmese as well? The only time I've heard it spoken was in a radio broadcast of Auns San Suu Kyi. I don't really remember what it sounded like. And the Burmese were another branch of the Tai people intermingled with Shan, Karen, etc. So the Burmese language must also have some similarities with Thai?

One could almost trace migration through the development of the individual languages. I wonder how the Lao language got its slightly different words from Thai, since they are so similar?

I am not an expert on this so some things I am not sure on.

Khmer and Burmese are not tonal and are related to Mon.The Mon are the original inhabitants of Thailand. There are still some Mon left in Thailand but I think most now live in Burma. Shan are ethnic Tai but I am sure Karen are not.

Burmese and Tai languages are very different but like Khmer they probably share a lot of individual word roots in Sanskrit and Pali.

Lao and Shan are Tai dialects so they are are very similar to Thai and share many words. Shan means mountain in their dialect.

daeng bireley,

"Lao and Shan are Tai dialects so they are are very similar to Thai and share many words. Shan means mountain in their dialect"

-----------------------------------

I'd say you know your stuff very well.

If I remember right, isn't there an island, maybe on the Chao Phraya, inhabited by Mon? I think it is their last homogenous settlement.

Brink15,

>If I remember right, isn't there an island, maybe on the Chao Phraya, inhabited by Mon?<

I think you mean 'Koh Kret' Kret island (à¡ÒÃà¡Ãç´). Yes, it is a Mon settlement. They also have a unique Buddist temple.

Thai wriiten laugauge is derieved as well from ancient Mon and Khmer. Some Khmer words, for example:

à¾ç­ = full (as used in 'full moon' ¨Ñ¹·Ãìà¾ç­)

ºÓà¾ç­ = practice (»¯ÔºÑµÔ)

ࢹ = pillow (it's a royal word = ËÃù)

Sanskrit is older than Pali. They are closely related.

GTG,

Thanks very much for the info.

Can one visit the Mon settlement on Koh Kret? Is there anything to see there that is culturally purely Mon?

I've seen Mon art in the National Museum, mainly Buddha images. I find it fascinating to see a part of the sum that is Thai culture.

"Thai wriiten laugauge is derieved as well from ancient Mon and Khmer. Some Khmer words, for example:

à¾ç­ = full (as used in 'full moon' ¨Ñ¹·Ãìà¾ç­)

ºÓà¾ç­ = practice (»¯ÔºÑµÔ)

ࢹ = pillow (it's a royal word = ËÃù)

Sanskrit is older than Pali. They are closely related. "

So, is it possible the links were Sanskrit -> Pali -> Khmer / Mon -> Thai? Obviously there is more to it in that there were native Tai words, and later some Chinese, French, and English words.

Archived