Origins of Thai language

Brink15

Brink15,

>Can one visit the Mon settlement on Koh Kret?

Of course, every visiters are welcome. In fact, it is one of the tourist attractions in Nontaburi.

I would suggest a day boat trip from Bkk.

http://www.tat.or.th/province/central/non/index.htm

You can call TAT for more info.

I enjoyed my time there. Very refreshing.

>So, is it possible the links were Sanskrit -> Pali -> Khmer / Mon -> Thai?<

I really don't know. But I know from school that King Ramhumhang invented Thai written charactors from ancient Mon and Khmar like I mentioned.

Some of the Tai word are considered rude nowadays, eg. ¡Ù (Ku = I, first person), ÃÖ§ (Moung = You, second person),á´¡ (Dake = eat).

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GTG,

Again much thanks.

I'm putting Koh Kret on my to do list for my next trip.

Interesting to know about the Tai words you mentioned.

As I understand it there are several levels of politeness. Going from least to most polite for eat it would be:

Dairk, Gin, Tan, Rappatan, and then for royalty Savoy.

Is this about right? Forgive my inablity to write Thai. Given what has already been said in this thread, it seems as though the Tai words are lower and going all the way up to the royal language, which is based on kmer or Pali (?). Would the words in the middle be Mon or a hybrid?

I've heard, but never used, dairk. I've used Gin with friends. I use Tan with my wife's family and friends from middle class up. And I use rappatan for fun to see what reactions I get.

Is rappatan even really used anymore?

Koh Kret is probably more famous for being a centre for terracotta pottery. The Mon Community are actually migrants, settling there in the early Chakri Dynasty after being run out of their capital by some invading army. The Mon were allies of the Thai against other Burmese groups.

I don't think you could catergorise the distinctions in varying degrees of politenes as you have done. I think you could think of it more like the way you would in English e.g. stuff ya face, eat, consume, partake. Some words are considered more polite, more educated, because they are not common, not familiar.

Rabpratarn is still quite common in formal or official language. Next time say dak for the reaction.

Brink15,

>Dairk, Gin, Tan, Would the words in the middle be Mon or a hybrid?

, and then for royalty Savoy.

Geez, you just mentioned another Khmer word - Savoy ! (àÊÇÂ, used for royalties)

We use 'foreign' language for a higher vocab or for sacred ceramonies (Pali, Sanskrit, Khmer) since Sukothai era.

>Would the words in the middle be Mon or a hybrid? <

Sorry, I don't know ! All I know is 'Tan' is shorten from 'Rappratan'. We rarely use the full word now. Sometimes we use 'raptan' to be more polite than only 'tan'. Usually, 'tan' is widely used.

Archived