What to do with 5,000,000 Baht?

I have basically 9,500,000 bht and plan to retire in LOS in a short period. I posted under "work in BKK" several months ago and received several posts about this very topic. It is clear to me that you need a job to bring in additional income if you plan on having a decent time of it. I spend at least US3,000 to 5,000 a month on vacation here every couple of months. 30,000 bht a month is a joke to live on+ what are you gonna do with all your free-time...spend money I bet.

Several people have spoken on this subject and the minimal amount needed is 45,000 bht a month IMHO. I plan to have around that plus work for an extra 30K. I plan on taking a break for 7 to 10 years then go home and work again as I'm still wet behind the ears in age.

Best of luck...wait a minute...you know you always could plan to die in say 5 years and live well on US50,000 for each year.

Just a thought.

SB

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW I spend around 50k monthly in LOS, that includes a well appointed bungalow on the beach and 'expensive' western food everyday.

No frugality whatsoever.

Though, I don't drink and have have no monetary demands from the ladies......

Hey, don't knock doing nothing. I'm in SE Asia for 4 - 6 months every year doing nowt.

It's a skill I tell you.

Some people can't see the wood for the trees.

[color:purple]

Some people just don't realize how difficullt and demanding it is to do nothing everyday. When you have all the time to think to yourself and about yourself it can be very stressful and tiring. I think it is much easier to dpend the majority of your day devoting your brainpower and labor to benefit others.

Guest lazyphil

<<think it is much easier to dpend the majority of your day devoting your brainpower and labor to benefit others>>

Nope, I've got doing nothing down to an art form and kind of enjoy it. Would more so in los, ho hum!

"Doing Nothing"

There are so many levels of doing nothing. I sleep late, get a massage, catch some waves, drink some beer, and hang out with the ladies every night. I call that doing nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I struck lucky on an investment here by buying a house and then renting it out. Not in Bangkok or in Pattaya, but about 20KM outside nr to Siam Country Club. This small area is just off the new highway up to Bangkok and also the new road down to Ryaong and Mackbaput (sorry cant spell it but thats how it sounds). Set by a huge lake, an English builder is putting up a small village of mediteraean style homes, all with pools, lanscaped gardens, fancy kitchens and everything else. they are not cheap thats for sure, count on at least 25-40% over a normal Thai built house. However, if you do it well, these houses are like magnets for expats transferred to work for the Mutinationals setting up in the eastern Seaboard. these are the guys bringing the wife and 3 kids. The international school is around the corner. My house was rented by the first person that saw it - put down a 3 month deposit and signed a 2 year no get out contract with an option to extend for a third.

The key here in MHO is that the typical family expat is getting a housing allowance of 80-100K per month. They are not interested in living in pattaya but want to be close by for shops, restaurants etc. This guy is going to pay off my mortagage in about 3 years, thank you very much. The cost is about 5M upwards for a 4 bedroom house on small plot. You need to spend another 750,000 baht on very decent furniture, DVD, Wega TV etc - they love it. Expect about a 10-15% return on your investment. Any down time in rental period, you can always stay in it yourself.

Just an idea, but will give you something to do in the daytime as he is building your property - go and choose the tiles....

For my money, I like Ginnae Mae so far. I put money in a mutual fund. The ticker is VFIIX. You may want to check out Ginnae Mae options as it pays about 5%. That would give you at least 5K a year. Good luck with your decision, I know it is hard to know what to do in this economy where money markets are barely paying 2%.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived