What to do with 5,000,000 Baht?

Just want to pipe in here.

If you do your homework, there are actually some very solid companies in Thailand. They have largely dollar denominated revenues. They didn't tank in the '97 crisis. Have very good dividends and good ratios.

You do have to do your homework (and I'm not giving mine out smile.gif

They do seem few and far between, but as I'm reading up on things, there seems to be a bunch of these companies in most any area of the world. Uncovering them is the hardpart as they get minimal coverage by the big leagues.

<<burp>>

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do your homework, there are actually some very solid companies in Thailand. They have largely dollar denominated revenues. They didn't tank in the '97 crisis. Have very good dividends and good ratios.

I'm sure it's true, and I'm all for taking advantage of investment opportunities whereever they are, including overseas markets. But for me that would as part of portfolio, and a minor part at that. What I do not consider prudent would be bringing all your money to Thailand, or investing it all in Thai based companies. Just because you reside here.

In retrospect, what I'm trying to say is, if I tried to live in Thailand and cover my expenses from my investments, I would invest exactly the same as if I were trying to do the same in Morocco or Tasmania.

Thanks for the clickable link.

I agree. I think Thailand should only be a small part of your portfolio. In world terms it's still regarded as an emerging market, with high risk involved. Most Thai's I've met, seem to be more interested in investing in land, than they are in the stock market. Anyhow, invest around the world, because who knows where and when the next bull market will start.

"Is there anyone out there on this board that has been retired in Thailand for any length of time on 30K baht a month?"

Yes. Well not exactly on this board but a mate of mine gets a fixed pension of 28,000 a month which he HAS to live off, he doesn't have any other income.

This gives him golf 3 times a week half a dozen beers a night, food, accommodation and he runs a motobike and a long term GF.

He reckons he's better off in LOS than in cold wet miserable England with nobody to keep him warm at night.

"My point continues to be that people should be very careful before commiting to a 40K a month income. I have talked to a number of people living that lifestyle. They tend not be the happiest people in the world."

I am. I live off 40k a month. That gives me golf 4 times a week, food, utilities, running a car and a long term GF and going out every night and I don't have to watch what I spend.

Condo and car are already paid for so no capital expenses there.

I think the key here is the GF. If you want to BF a different girl every night you need more money.

Mr Mayor, thanks for your encouraging post. Out of curiousity, I assume you live in PTY; would 40k be acceptable in BKK or do you think you would need more for the same lifestyle.

I think the key here is the GF. If you want to BF a different girl every night you need more money.

Yes and no. It's back to the lifestyle. I don't play golf and I don't want a car. The savings would take care of a few barfines a week, would they not?

I'm not up to date on the current prices in BKK. I remember when I moved from there to Pattaya that I thought BKK was cheaper than Pattaya for most things, accommodation, beers and BF's being the major expense items.

You should certainly have enough for BF's if you don't play golf or run a car and still be able to live but remember, I don't have to figure in rent. Say you're spending 15k on rent, can you eat drink and be merry on 25k? I mean, you don't have to party every night, do you?

Remember also that this is now. It's unlikely that you'll be able to live for an indefinite time like this as prices always go up, never down.

"I am. I live off 40k a month. That gives me golf 4 times a week, food, utilities, running a car and a long term GF and going out every night and I don't have to watch what I spend."

I'm confused,in the thread "transferring money" aren't you saying you make over 300K a month??

I'd say 100K a month excluded accomodation is a bit on the high side but definetely not too big of a deal to spend, and definetely not enough for "the rich and famous lifestyle".Or even a couple of nice Mia Nois

I'm confused,in the thread "transferring money" aren't you saying you make over 300K a month??

No need for confusion, it's simple Dickensian economics.

Income = 300K

Expenditure = 40K

Result = Mr. Macawber is a very happy chappie.

I actually spend less when working as it cuts out the expenditure on golf and going out every night.

Archived