Work Permit Not Recd But Non Imm B Running Out

ultras67

Apols for another Non imm B question but previous questions skirt round this situation so I am not sure exactly about what can or cannot be done

OK the situation is this. At my school there are three teachers, we have applied for the work permit but it hasnt been processed yet. Our 90 day non imm Bs run out in 4 days and 16 days respectively. I went to the immigration to see if they could be extended until the permit comes through but got an unhelpful person who was no help whatsoever.

So the question is, can the 90 day non imm B be extended for another 30/60/90 days until the permit is through and if so, what documents would we need to produce to support it ?

Cheers

I don?t know how helpful this will be, since I don?t know the details as someone else actually takes care of all this. But anyway, I have a stamp in my passport from last year while the work permit was being processed that says:

Stamp date 10 Sept 2001 then:

?Application for extension of stay under consideration of the police dept applicant must contact the temporary permit section in person on 10 OCT 2001.?

2 days later:

?Extension of stay permitted up to 09-Jul-2002 holder must leave the kingdom with the date specified herein offenders will be prosecuted.?

The 09 Jul-2002 date is one year after my last entry into kingdom and matches the dates of the Non-Imm visa. What this tells me is the answer to your question is yes. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you how to go about it.

TH

Unfortunately, I can only tell you it can be done without knowing a lot of the details of how to do it. If you've been running on a non-imm B for 2.5 months, you school should have at least been able to land a temporary work permit by now. Normally, when that happens, your passport goes to the police and they stamp it as per the last reply. In fact, I think when they make the application your existing non-imm B is cancelled and a new one is issued (for varying durations).

If I were you, I'd take your school to task and get them to cough up either the temporary permit (if received) or their application paperwork. And then take it all down to the Immigration office in Suan Plu to see if they can sort it out.

If you haven't figured out the tone of my message by now, I'm thinking your school might be yanking your chain and never have made the application. Usually visa issuance corresponds directly with work permit applications. Something should have changed your visa status by now.

Of course, my experience may not be applicable to your situation because different corporate capitalizations in Thailand are subject to different sets of rules.

BTW. In Suan Plu, whatever your work permit situation, they should be able to extend your non-imm B. They extended mine for 21 days, then 14 days and then 7 days. But I would go on the day the visa expires because the extension is from the day you apply.

Also, if you've been here 90 days don't forget to stop by the office (on the third floor?) and report your status. There's a form they can give you. Just tell the information desk you want to file your '90 day report' and they'll send you to the right office. I think it was room 306 but it was quite a few months since I've been there.

Thanks for the info Lamok

The school are the ones yanking the chain but they dont actually care if we have a permit or not. Its us teachers that are actually driving the whole thing about going legal.

Incidently the other teacher went earlier today to immigration and got a 15 day extension just by telling the people what the situation was. With a supporting letter from the school she would have got a 30 day extension.

BTW what is the 90 day report ?

The 90 day report is a little known requirement that if you are in this country more than 90 days (and at each 90 day interval), you must report your current address to immigration. They've got a web site describing the requirement but I'm not sure I still have the link (it may have been on this board). I do know that when you file the report, they give you a receipt which you must return with your next report.

If you leave the country before your 90 days is up, the clock starts over when you return.

On visas that need to be renewed every 90 days, I believe the rule is redundant and not enforced, since your application for the new visa probably includes the info they want.

Funny thing was, when I found out about it I had almost reached that 90 days and I told our secretary about (who was handling all the visa matters). She said she knew nothing about it and I thought she was pretty knowlegeable on the subject. Sent her the web link and she read it and made some phone calls. Guess what? She immediately started taking care of my 90 day reporting.

If your school is doing its paperwork, you should be having no problems. Somebody is dropping the ball on their end. As others have noted, you should be able to get an extention. But if the school is just playing games with you, you are out of luck.

p.s. See Stickman's Teaching in Thailand site for information on language schools that do not deliver on promised visas and work permits. There are some like that.

Just to give you the latest. I knew the school was disorganised but....

The work permit application was handed into The Ministry of Labour but they said they needed the school certification number, we duly went to the school and asked for it. The reply ?

"umm, we are not registered or certified by the ministry of education / government"

In other words, it is impossible to work at the school and get a work permit.

They knew this yet let us mugs run around trying to do things legally and properly. By the way, just for info. Its not a language school, its a Prathom & Kindergarten school.

Please take this as my availability to teach elsewhere. If anyone knows of good a FT job ( preferably corporate ) let me know.

Cheers

So what do people in your situation do? Visa is running out, you can't get a WP + new visa thru your school, and it may take a few days or weeks to find a new job and to get all of the paperwork going. Do you do a visa run and get a 60 day tourist visa or what?

Good question.

One possibility is to get a letter from the school confirming I work there, take it to immigration, say the WP isnt through yet, get a 30 day extension and then find a new job / visa run or whatever before the extension runs out.

We are having a teachers revolt meeting today - and yes we are all revolting !

OK here is the up to date situation.

I went to immigration today with a letter from the school confirming I work there. I asked for a 30 day extension to my non imm b.

In the passport they have given me a stamp with

"Application for extension of stay under consideration of the police dept applicant must contact the temporary permit section in person on 02 OCT 2002" similar to the post above.

They have also given me a form which says I have to return in person by Sept 12 with the following - contract, work permit, letter from gov dept / regional official / president responsible for the institution. The stamp says if I do not return, the application is considered cancelled. The officer said if I dont return by Sept 12 I cant stay.

Questions are

When am I allowed to stay until? 2/10 or 12/9 the verbal info and the stamp conflict

When it says the application is cancelled do they mean the Non Imm B or the extension ?

As I cannot get a WP as the school isnt registered do I

A) Do a visa run and get a tourist visa and continue working (dodgy)

B) go to a visa fixer ( very dodgy, I know )

C) tell immigration I have found out the school isnt registered and plea for mercy and more time? ( ?????? )

What are the consequences of the options above - would they check why I moved onto a tourist visa and didnt return?

Should I consider getting professional reliable advice ? ( if there is such a thing )

Just for info - The other teachers have decided just to buy their visa.

Thanks for any advice, I am getting so much conflicting info its driving me crazy.

Archived