Farangs and guns.

aussiejohn

I was on a shooting range near Chaweng Samui. I had been there a few times. In passing I asked one of the guys how much the 9 mm I was using would cost.

He said he could get me a new one within 24 hours for a 900 US dollars. He said it was fine for me to have one.

Spoke to an old timer whoran a store with his wife up in Issan he said he had one and that it wasnt a problem

STH

I inquired about this a while ago on this board also. Not because I wanted to carry one in LOS but purely out of curiosity. I wouldn't carry one even if it was legal. Why?

Personally, I would probably view the two words falang and gun, with the same concern as falang and drugs or falang and under age girl...in other words, I would not want to know what would happpen if I was found with one.

>I would not want to know what would happpen if I was found with one. <

as you would have difficulties to produce the legal paperwork it would mean prison for a few years.

a while back i actually asked some friends here about that, they told me never to fuck around with guns here.

but if i would have a need for that sort of solution for a problem they would be glad to be of assistence themselves...

hmmm, thanks a lot... wink.gif

I know only of a few non-thai nationals that are legally permitted to carry (in a concealed manner) a firearm. As suspected, these individuals are all associated with Embassy protection and diplomatic/consualr matters..

As far as getting permission, I have been told by Customs that it is the Royal Thai Police that have exclusive authority over this issue.. The diplomatic corps gets their permitting via Protocol department...

--UPSer

PS: I have NO idea why one would want to carry a weapon in BKK.. Bogota, maybe.. Bangkok not.

Hi!

A couple of years ago there was an article in Pattaya Mail about an American living there that had his hous robbed. They opened his safe and among other things they took a gun. According to the article he had a permit for the gun. It didn't say if he had a permit to carry it on his person theough, However it appears that foreigners can obtain a permit to posses a gun if they have money and contacts.

regards

ALHOLK

interesting.

maybe if you are a permanent resident you can get a gun the same way as thais do. it is very easy for thais to get a gunpermit for your house if you are registered there and have no record. sometime i should do enquieries (not that i would want or need one, just out of interest).

Fly, thanks for all the feedback. It was just a thought on my part,as when I passed the shops my girlfriend pointed to a model that she used to own,and her brother still keeps some at his home. I know it is fairly easy for a Thai national to get the permits and more so if they have money and a business. I don't know if I would get one,even if given the chance. All The Best ....aussiejohn

• 2 weeks later...

If you do not have a gun, you will probably just get a smack on the head if you get into trouble with some bad type. But if you have a gun, then they will have a bigger gun, and so it goes. I doubt that anyone seriously needs a gun in Thailand, unless you have enemies, it isn't America where everybody wants to be Hopalong Cassidy at some time in their lives. Also, I fail to see why ordinary people that mind their own business and keep their heads down need a gun either. Gun shops can get a limited number of firearm permits in any one month, and subsequently they are sold to the highest bidder, and that means those who have a burning need for one are the bidders, it is not a status symbol at all.

Archived