Maybe ZoneAlarm isn't so hot after all...

DB,

what security measures do you take to protect your computer?

I personally use ZA as a fire wall, Adaware to detect any spyware and sometimes log on to McAfee's online virus scanner to see if there are any viruses on my computer.

I use no protection against incoming emails, just throw away any message with unknown attachments, even if they are from trusted sources.

Do you have any recommendations for me?

Cheers,

soongmak

• [color:blue]"DB,

what security measures do you take to protect your computer? "color=blue>

I hope you don't mind, if I also answer. I do nothing: no firewall, no virus-protection etc. And I never had a problem....

I think, all the tools are slowing down my laptop. May be, it is time, to install at least a virus-scanner.

Db,

have you never had any conflicts with two firewalls and two virusscanners running at he same time?

I used toniarts easycleaner before as well, untill it fucked up my MS office aplications by cleaning out an "unnecessary file" that wasn't so unnecessary after all. I send him an email about this and also told him wich file it was that his program deleted. I never got any answer though. I am a bit reluctant to use his program now.

Cheers,

soongmak

DB: "And still it's not enough. So, I never leave anything on my computer that's the least bit sensitive"

What are your views on keeping your files encrypted and not opening any of your encrypted files while connected to the internet?

Hi Peter,

Your current strategy is high risk and there is an element of luck that you have not had problems, or they have not delivered a payload yet. When you consider how pervasive some of the current worms are you should get some protection.

I try to avoid MS-Browsers and MS-Mail-Clients (I am using Netscape for E-Mail and www). Furthermore I never open e-mails with executable attachments from sources, that I don't know and I do not download sources from warez-sites/ xxx-sites. From time to time I am checking some security-sites/ newsgroups. IMO, I don't know the need for a personal firewall.

This is still working. I never had a problem so far.

Archived