Maybe ZoneAlarm isn't so hot after all...

I use Zone Alarm as my firewall , Ad Aware to search for Trojans and their ilk, and Norton Anti-Virus scans incoming E-Mails for viruses. Had one come in an attachment last week. NAV picked it up. Updates are automatic and almost daily. You can download from theMicrosoft website a small program to notify you when they have Critical Updates. Easy to use.

I will not ever upgrade from Win98SE, I think. XP is too freaking sketchy for my tastes.

I agree about XP, I won't touch it until I have absolutely no choice. But 98SE is a PoS.

Win2000, however, is excellent. Pure NT code base, 3 service packs released. Very stable, it is a "real" OS. And it doesn't have any of that creepy stuff XP has.

Hi,

Db, aren't we a whee bit paranoid? smile.gif

Anyway, it's Win2000 with ZoneAlarm for me. Also running a cookiewall, and run AdAware on occassion.

Furthermore, all email goes through MailWasher, allowing me to delete any spam / viruses directly from the server.

Sanuk!

Hi!

In reply to:

[color:blue]Office XP blows chunks on windows 98 up to the point of hanging.color=blue>

Office XP doesn't need any help to screw up. At work I have gone back to Office 2000 which is much more stable.

regards

ALHOLK

• [color:blue]"Office XP doesn't need any help to screw up."color=blue>

I can not second this. I am using a Toshiba Notebook with WinXP and OfficeXP. I also have a running SAP R/3 (miniSAP) on my small notebook. Never had a serious problem yet... smile.gif

"ZoneAlarm isn't so hot"

What is this? The National Enquirer? Very misleading headline IMHO. Strongly advise people to have/use this program along with current virus checker, programs with all security updates and plain text email. And I did look at this persons page and find nothing suggesting ZoneAlarm is not good at what it does. His point seemed to be addressed to fellow geeks arguments about how effective outbound checking is. Zone alarm protects you from inbound hackers or programs that you might not know were running. If you install a worm that uses an authorized program to call out there is not much anything can do about that. We have virus checkers to help prevent this from happening and hopefully enough sense not to execute code that could be a worm. We never open email attachments unless we are sure about the source/content. And we always keep programs up to date with the latest updates. And of course for some of use who are poor and dumb there is nothing much of value on our computers anyhow. But we still play it safe. smile.gif

Hi,

"what the heck is a cookie wall? First time I heard about that. Also is there a freeware program that takes care of your cookies?"

A cookiewall intercepts any cookie that comes into the system and if it is unknown will ask you to 'Always accept, 'Temporarily accept' or 'Always deny'.

The program is called Cookiewall, not certain if this is a real term or not.

And yes, I am aware that browsers can handle this as well.

Sanuk!

Archived