ip address alert

legover

DB & Peter1964.

right, looks more like a browser pop up .. never saw it before though. more interested in IP mechanics than security.

Wody, anybody, the IP address is the location of the ISP i?m connecting to, that right? my phone number is the location of my computer. yes? .. no?

BC ., you?re on, we have a BT bet, whatever that is smile.gif .. currently with CSComs dial-up svc, Petchaburi, unlimited 600 baht/mo, 4 hours maximum then auto redial.

regards

3d

In reply to:

Wody, anybody, the IP address is the location of the ISP i?m connecting to, that right? my phone number is the location of my computer. yes? .. no?

No, ISP means Internet Service Provider. They provide your computer with what it needs to connect to internet, so cables and all kinds of stuff, and they give your computer an address, the IP address. The internet is just a virtual world, where every computer has an address, just like the real world, where every house has an address. Because the internet uses the Internet Protocol (IP), an address in the Internet world is called an IP-address. Off course, when you hook up a modem to a computer, it can be called with the phonenumber, and your ISP has a phonenumber too, in the real world, but the internet is another world, even if they do mix, in locations sometimes smile.gif

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

>, and they give your computer an address, the IP address. <

I should phrase this as a QUESTION not as a statement!!!

But the IP address is actually an address associated with the ISP. Tomorrow ( or next time you log on ) someone else could have that IP address & you could have a different IP address, unless your ISP has only 1 IP address.

At least, MY IP address changes on a large ISP in a major US metro area.

If you changed ISPs you would have a completely different IP address.

Right?

Hi,

IP addresses are bought or rented by ISP's for use by their users, and for companies for their webservers etc, so usually if you use a modem, your IP address is dynamic, every time you connect or re-connect, your IP address will change also. In Windows 9x (and ME very likely) you can see your IP address by running WINIPCFG, it will have a drop-down box, I haven't used a modem in years so I can't remember which one will have your exact IP-address. Usually, people who have DSL or cable-modems, have an IP address that is technically also dynamic, but in reality more static, meaning everytime you connect or re-connect, you will be assinged the same IP-address. So, using a normal modem with an ISP is like checking into a hotel, you get a random room to stay in. With a cable-modem or DSL, it's like renting a condo, when you get to thailand, you'd get your old one back, and if you're really rich and need it, you can buy your own house too smile.gif

Here is a nice whitepaper about it, unfortunatly it is a bit technical, but that is what you get. At least it has pictures

How does the Internet work?

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

Oh cool, a prize. I guess having a father that teached and a TGF that is a teacher rubs off hehe. Well, I'm off to enjoy my prize smile.gif

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

XP. downloaded email from Hotmail through Outlook Express and the box came up as i read an x.com surveillance camera ad.. pretty sure the box opened right there."

This is and advertisement designed to get you to buy something. Unless there is a program on your computer that is sending out your IP address to the internet saying "hello world" you are not broadcasting your address. It just means your IP address is visable. I suspect the idea is to make you feel paranoid and buy a bullit proof vest or some kind od security software.

AG

This is probably a popup browser window (as someone already mentioned) from one of those obnoxious Internet advertisers that's trying to sell you something.

I recently started receiving spam mails warning me that my PC is too slow. I should buy some product to fix it.

In my opinion Personal Firewalls can be more trouble than they're worth. If you don't have the Internet know-how to know what all those little messages mean you end up totally paranoid.

PC's on the Internet are constantly being scanned by wannabe-hackers and worms for security holes in software (UNIX SMTP server holes,UNIX IMAP bugs, IIS Bugs etc.). The chance of them finding anything exploitable on your PC (which normally shouldn't be running any 'services') are remote. But having a nice little popup box telling you that IP xxx is trying to hack your PC makes you feel really happy about your firewall (which is good for the firewall maker). Those firewalls are programmed to scare you. You then start telling everyone you know in how much danger they are without one. (sound familiar?)

The real risk is in downloading virus e-mail attachments . Unfortunately those buggers could easily circumvent your firewall if they wanted to (See the Steve Gibson article).

- Get a good virus scanner.

- Kill all services on your PC (turn off file & printer sharing

- Relax.

Regards,

Xenna (behind a *network* firewall)

Archived