Ruptured Ear Drum???

jxxxl

Well, this doesn't have anything to do with nighlife battle injuries, but I thought I'd ask as there are probably a lot of divers in this board.

I was skin diving about three weeks ago. At one point, I had a really painful "pop" in my left ear. The next day, I had this clicking sound in my ear and it hasn't gone away. Being the idiot that I am, I haven't been to see a doctor yet - I will soon. But, does anyone know about this? Could it be that I a hole in my ear drum and if so, does anyone know what can be done about it?

Thanks,

JX

1st thing - go see a doctor.

2nd thing, a quick test. hold your nose so you cannot breath through it. gently try to breathe out through your nose. if you "hear" a hiss or feel air moving in your ear then it is likely you have a ruptured ear drum. if it feels normal then it is probably something else. Is the OK ear vastly better than the popped ear ? if yes, again this says something is wrong.

if it is ruptured, it will heal itself in around 2-3 months depending on the size of the rupture, avoid any water going into the ear, do not use ear drops. you may or may not have a slight loss of hearing after it has healed.

But go see a doc.

Archived