"FARANG"

pattaya127

In my experience of normal Thai life, the use of the term farang is not derogatory. It is more commonly used by bar girls and sex workers even if you know them for a long time.

Thai friends seem to use my first name when addressing me and when talking to others about me. Regular Thai girls also follow this rule and generally use your name when referring to you and not farang, unless they are joking.

I would generally insist on my name been used when girls speak to me, they always ask 'waht you name'. If I am talking to them I recriprocate. I think bar girls etc. tend to use the term farang in a disrespectful way, at times.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The word "alien" if you check a dictionary means "owing allegience to another country or government". It is only within the populaqr culture of sci-fi that the word refers to beings from another planet. Much governmental literature (UK or USA) with regard to foreign affairs will refer to "aliens", and I don't suspect they are anticipating any landings from Mars. smile.gif

jasmine,

i have heard other northern/issan slang about this:

'buk har gin dtup' something about beasties eating your liver?

' ee har gin bord' .... similar stuff. not to be said i take it? or can be used in jest?

Hello,

The ?Har? in this context, second tone in Thai language, is definitely very rude. My mouth was washed with soap on this one, and still could taste it!

To be scientific, ?Har? is a highly infectious, usually fatal, epidemic disease that caused death by thousands, such as plaque which used to happen in the old days in Thailand. There?s a phrase ?Har Loung?.

?gin tup? (eating liver) is often used to identify some action of animals or ghost, and it is bad context. When I was little, children were told that so and so will come to ?gin tup?, some kids even were told that foreigners such as Indians, Burmese, Cambodian and of course, Farangs ?gin tup? (I think this causes some fear and hatred for foreigners). It should not be used, in my opinion? even in jest. How in the world, my friend, have you learned such words?

?ee? in the Isaan and Northern dialects are not rude like the central Thai one, but your sample ?gin bord' is rude, I think, evn though I do not understand what ?gin bord' is, please explain.

Never the less, please do not use ?ee? in front of any female names. Old people, especially up country (North or Isaan) still use it and usually, they do not mean to be rude. The context samples are ?ee nang? (women) or ?ee lha? (young girl), some Isaan people call the ?mother? ?ee mae?, or ?father? ?ee Por?. I actually don?t mind old people calling me ?ee nang? at all.

By the way do you know what ?Buksida? is? I hope that helps. I am happy to help if you have any more questions.

Cheers!

I was recently at a dinner party in LOS with a group of ministry, executive and high society types. My Thai is the equivalen of a 1 year old so I would have barely noticed if rude terms were spoken regarding me. I did notice that every time someone did speak about me or to me in Thai, they always used the term Khun JJsushi. never farang or American or term that did not reflect my name.

jasmine,

thanks for all the background, its interesting knowing where these words come from. i knew they were pretty bad but often heard them being spoken between friends in issan. as my curiosity get the better of me i'm always asking what new words mean .... given the answer was 'very bad word' i just filed them away somewhere!

cheers.

Archived