"FARANG"

pattaya127

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Maybe they have nicknames since foreigners entered their country. Could be possible."

I could be wrong, but I believe the reason behind the nicknames is superstition. Thais believe (believed?) that by calling the kid by a nickname, rather than the real name, evil spirits can not harm the child.

For this same reason, people will also never say that a baby is cute. The spirits could become jealous and take the baby.

Sanuk!

You're right about their supersticious thoughts.

My wife told me the other day that the Thais are trying to keep evil spirits away by the use of nicknames.

Well, I can't deny it doesn't work, because I have never seen or read about babies being taken away by evil spirits.

Hello,

I agree that it is nice to be called by our beloved names. I do not think I can train my mother to though. One name she can do pretty close "Brian", it actually sounds like "Bryn An" but it is close.

I still do have unclear pronunciation in some words, names, and places after all these years. I will give the benefit of the effort when people try.

Cheers!

Hello,

I believe the reason behind the nicknames is superstition 

This is new to me, I did not know that. I actually do not have a nickname, my brother does. I need to call my mother to find out why, perhaps they did not worry about me or what!

For this same reason, people will also never say that a baby is cute. The spirits could become jealous and take the baby. 

Yes, I heard about this one, there must be a reason behind it.

I am impressed on the knowledge you and other posters know about Thailand.

Cheers!cool.gif

Hi, just some clarification concerning 'aliens'....

Aliens (beings from another planet) are commonly referred to as ùØÉÂìµèÒ§´ÒÇ - manut dtahng dao. µèÒ§´ÒÇ - dtahng dao on its own only acts as an adjective to something from another planet. You need the classifier ùØÉÂì - manut, which translates as 'human' or 'being'.

I've never heard aliens (ET variety) referred to as khon dtahng dao. But then again, I haven't heard many things..

khon dtahng dao - ¤¹µèÒ§´éÒÇ on the other hand would refer to all people who are not Thai...... i.e. foreigner.

Also, just to note another term that is used to describe a Westerner and is commonly used is - ªÒǵÃÇѹµ¡ - chao ta wun dtok. This is literally translated as 'Westerner' or 'inhabitant from the West'.

Cheers,

FF

Archived