Am I a stupid falang?

trotsky2

Moderator, I don't know what section this belongs in? Feel free to relocate it.

I have been thinking about doing this one year Thai study program at Thammasat Univ. The program is a mix of language, politics, culture, history, etc. The cost is minimal and it seems like it would be a good education on what Thailand is all about. I am a little hesitant about jumping in on this for three reasons.

First, I am concerned about the quality of classes given that everything I have read about Thai education is that it is POOR, POOR, POOR! It seems to me from reading the credentials on the web-site that the teachers in this program are probably ok. Much more knowlegable at least than the teachers in the US would be on the topic of Thailand. It seems reasonable to presume they know something about their own country. Or is that Thai bank advertisement really true? Have Thai people forgotten Thai culture?

Second, I am a little concerned that I may just be throwing away another year of my life for something that will not be of any use in the "real world". Though I have wasted enough years already, one more year is probably insignificant.

The third factor which ties a little in with the second is a comment my girlfriend has made. She said to me, "Why do want to study about Thai culture, history, etc? Who cares? It is not important! Don't waste a year of your life for something that will not get you anything afterwards." She has told me that although she thinks my idea is basically a waste of time, I should go for it if I want and she won't bitch about my decision. You cynics may say she doesn't want me to do this because it means one more year for her in Thailand. You may also say that her economic reasoning is motivated by her own greed. I have thought about that but that is all another topic and I feel she is just trying to look out for my best interests even if it means her's too. Bottom line though is I make my own decisions whether she likes it or not. Do you think she is right about the usefullness of such study? I am 50-50 on that one. I think it will be a good experience that I won't regret even if I don't get one satang out of it when I am finished.

If anyone has done any type of studying in Thailand I would be interested to hear about your experience. My apologies for always being the question asker around here. I'll to throw in a bone if I have something relevant.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the reason of your wanting to study is for the sake of study it self- not for further your career or anything like that. So, I would say if you have a year to spare- go for it. What you will learn in the class room might not be exactly what you expected. But the interaction with other students might be an experience in itself. You might also contribute to the Thai education system by showing them how the class should be conducted. Asking more questions, challenge the teachers and other classmates, etc. Should be interesting !

No, you are not a stupid Farang. Actually, your plan is quite commendable, but whether you should do it depends upon your ultimate goals. I cannot comment on Thammasat?s program because I am not familiar with the program (and, even after living here for 8 years, I would not consider myself a Thai "expert" by any stretch of the imagination), but I can make a few general comments.

The program allows you to spend a year in Thailand, and if you are interested in learning more about Thai culture, politics and history, there are obvious advantages to studying in Thailand. Unfortunately, there are also less obvious disadvantages.

For the same reason that Khun Sanuk has banned political discussions from this board, the program at Thammasat will probably not be as critical as a program outside of Thailand. This is particularly true in the area of politics, and doubly true in the current environment.

Indeed, to be treated seriously, most Thai scholars, Thai nationals included, seek graduate degrees outside of Thailand. There is a good reason for this. In the U.S., I know that Cornell enjoys a good reputation in the area of Thai studies. But, if you are looking for something less serious and want to spend a year in Thailand, hey, why not?

You're not stupid. Those of us who dash off to Thailand with little or no understanding of the Thai people, their language or culture are the stupid ones.

I feel (perhaps erroneously) that I have gained more insights into many aspects of living in Thailand from the board itself than I could have from any number of textbooks (or Lonely Planet guides ...). If I were planning on living there, I'd definitely want to learn the language, and attempt to grasp more of the subtleties of the culture. Whether I would personally be willing to spend a year dedicating myself solely to this remains a different question : you have and I wish you well.

Hi,

The correct word is "farang", there is a "r" in Thai eventhough is not exactly like the "r" in English. I do not like the "farang" term much for it is used to many time as a non-respectful way.

"Why do want to study about Thai culture, history, etc? Who cares? It is not important! Don't waste a year of your life for something that will not get you anything afterwards."

Knowing another language is a way to understand another culture and to understand another culture is NEVER useless. Having lived in the USA for over 30 years, I am glad to see that more Americans are learning other languages. A friend of mine from Pakistan is teaching a class now for the Army. What is a year of your life, if you can learn another language and culture?

By the way, if my info. is correct, the current American Embassador to Thailand is fluent in Thai and Loatian and it i s defenitely an asset.

I will go for the year in Thammasart, if I were you (actually, I am envious!).

Cheers!

cool.gif

One thing you did not tell us was how you were going to support yourself during your year of studying. I haven't studied Thai culture, but I know one thing - it costs money to live there, and one year of negative income is going to take some reversing before you even get back to square one again.

That being said, I wish I could join you - one year in a Thai uni learning about my favourite people, well who knows where it could lead.

Your GF is being practical, but what the hell, lifes short, so if you are financially able to manage, go for it. And keep us posted on your progress.

Archived