Am I a stupid falang?

trotsky2

As a matter of interest why did you choose the Thammasart course?

I was recently researching the courses available at the various universities and preferred the Chula course. But I was looking for something that was much more language intensive.

It's also a lot more expensive though

So was your judgment based on the cost or the more varied curriculum or a.n. other?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I am trotsky2, but am using this because of email problems. There were lots of responses so I will try to get to them all.

1. Yes it is my knowledge that the classes are in English and/or some variation of it!

2. I plan to support the plan by continuing my job teaching English in Taiwan. I can sack away 10,000US in 6 months and have 4 already. From previous LOS endeavors, I believe that 40,000 per month will allow me to study comfortably. 12 monthsx1,000US=12,000 plus 2,000 for tuition = 14,000. Granted I will be back to square one again afterwards but my hope is that all of that will not be spent. Enough to get back to Taiwan so I can feed myself. $14,000 does seem like a lot of cash that could be used for something else.

So the outcome will be (a) back to Taiwan again but had a great year studying and not teaching English (B) perhaps some job with good pay in LOS could pop-up--yeah right! © luck into going back to the US for a graduate degree if loans are available but seems I will have to teach more English to get money to go back home. What a bitch it is to get anything done, eh?

3. I just turned 28 and have a BA. Worthy of a life time achievement award I know. Lets just say I am at least 5 years behind the rest of the developed world.

4. I am glad my girlfriend disagrees with what I say and do sometimes. It makes me examine what I am doing. Sometimes I am wrong and she is right and vice-versa. Nothing worse than a "Yes Woman". It is good to have someone around to question and challenge you. Too much "No woman" is unsavory I agree but she maintains an good balance.

5. I thought about the Chula course as well. Like you said it is expensive and totally language centered. I would like more variety and think all language all the time would be boring. It may be better in terms of getting something out of it in the real world though because your language skills might get you into a job. Also a bonus would be the constant exposure to the lovely ladies of Chula.

6. The post about falang/ farang spelling or something. Basically we are the foreigners so we get to choose how to spell it in English. Sorry, it is just a falang thing. I agree the term can get on my nerves and lean towards the derogatory but sometimes I like to just say, "Yes, Damn it I am the Falang!!" I gots me a big nose and I smell really bad, who wants some?

Not to go at too much but there is no English dictionary for the Thai language. The choice of r vs. l is arbitrary. Ain't no expert but I think falang is spelled using "r/lau r/ua aka boat" There is no English sound but when I here it is a mix or "r and l" and sometimes more l than r and other times more r than l. I hope not taken too much as a flame.

7. To anyone who thinks it can be done, I must challenge the view that a language can be learned in one year. Not a chance. This is especially true for Asian languges outside of Bahasa. With the tones and different alphabets and different systems of thinking, I say 4 or 5 years is more realistic. I have been working here and there with Chinese and Thai and am nowhere fluent after a year in both places. Granted I had to work to survive which limited my ability to learn. However, I still think one year of study wouldn't have put me at the level of understanding needed to fully grasp newspapers and movies.

8. Will she lose her status as "Thai expert"? I really don't think so. She has had 20 years of study which I don't believe can be made up in a year. I don't think she fears I will have more knowledge to challenege her. She is not intimidated by what I or other people know. It may make for better discussion/arguments. She can talk about other things than Thailand so everything will be ok.

9. Is it me or does it seem some people will give the advice that you just need to break up with her eventhough you tell them the sex is great, she is wonderful, she is the most important thing in my life??

10. Much appreciation for the encouragement to do this thing. I will post you as it happens.

To Jasmine I am not trying to throw the fire and I appreciate your support. Just have some disagreement with a few of your points.

To???Pattaya, let?s look at this again. a major factor contributing to the success of a relationship involves enthusiastic support of one?s values. Trotsky wants to take another year out for this so it?s important to him, he puts a high value on it. the qualified support she?s giving him today may turn to dissatisfaction and disagreement later, spoiling the relationship to the regret of both. The course has obvious value. Her later stronger reaction is the risk that would be absent with her full backing today. If she can give him the encouragement he needs to go ahead it will be more successful with many benefits to her she may have not yet considered. Why not a course for her to study western culture in preparation for their trip?

She is just pragmatic and I think she has a different logic on time and money due to background. She probably thinks studying in the US is wiser in terms of future wealth potential. I did mention she will still support me, she just thinks the idea is a little screwy. Can't say I disagree, it is a little out of the realm. I have considered it but at the moment I think this idea is pretty cool. I also shutter at taking on 50,000 US in loans to study in the US. It could be paid of later and I will probably be stupid enough to do it anyway but at this time I would like another year in LOS before going back to the US. A year in LOS just studying and not having to be teaching English for 900 US a month. What is the possible counter-argument to that?

The choice of r vs. l is arbitrary... I think falang is spelled using "r/lau r/ua aka boat" There is no English sound but when I here it is a mix or "r and l" and sometimes more l than r and other times more r than l.

Though this is more suited for the language section, I'd like to comment. "Farang" is indeed spelled with 'ro-rua.' True, this consonant has no English sound, but in many other languages the letter 'r' is pronounced the same way as Thai 'ro-rua'. In English, this sound is referred to as 'rolled r.' Therefore it makes sense to use 'r' when transliterating 'ro-rua.'

When Thais pronounce 'ro-rua' as 'l' (as in 'falang' instead of 'farang') that is referred to as 'deterioration of r.' It is partly regional and partly colloquial. Sort of like English 'ain't' instead of 'isn't'. In "central Thai," the official language of Thailand, it is considered incorrect pronunciation.

Therefore it is preferred to transliterate 'ro-rua' with letter 'r' rather than 'l'.

You sell used cars Joey. Parhaps I have lost the plot but the last thing I would do with the money is buy a car. That ranks just above buying a bar in Thailand. With that money you could buy several wives in another country or multiple countries. Then I'd be the shit even if the 4 of them had to ride on the same bicycle with me. People ain't gonna be lookin' at the bike I assure you.

Just a joke. Most people I know Stateside would put the money toward an SUV then spend it in a place like Thailand (or any other country for that matter). It annoys me that's all, people's sense of priorities. Anyway, spending a year in LOS studying is a great idea. I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Good Luck

Thammasart - www.thaistudy.tu.ac.th

Chula - www.arts.chula.ac.th/miscell/int_thai.htm

Assumption - www.au.ac.th

Mahidol - www.mahidol.ac.th/mahidol/lc/ilcrd.htm

Ramkamhaeng - ru.ac.th

Go for it. Any experience that enriches one is worth it if you have the opportunity. Sounds as though you are not "set in your career path" yet, and you may not get the opportunity again. Whatever the course is like, you will certainly learn *something*!

Would perhaps lay off "challenging the lecturers" though. Thai educational system is not confrontational (on the part of the students), and if they are Thai ajarns (lecturers) they *will* resent your publically questioning them (implicit assumption is that they either did not teach the subject well enough, or they were wrong in something - both big no-no's in Thai universities). Again fellow students may well not like being "challenged" (don't make them look stupid in front of their friends). That said, one-on-one discussions with fellow students and lecturers will possibly be more productive. Do remember though that the ajarn (Thai) is considered highly respected - and in any discussion with a student - He is *right*!! (even when he is not!!!!).

good luck

-j-

Archived