30 baht hospital visits

camerashy

One of the main components of PM Taksins election campaign was his idea for 30 baht hospital visits. I believe this has now started to be introduced into various hospitals around the country, but not all.

Could someone out there who is living and working in the country explain to me how the system works, or at least is supposed to work, and how hospitals are chosen to participate? Also why would anyone bother going to one of the other hospitals if they will only be charged 30 baht at the one down the road?

Also does this system also apply to visiting farangs? Somehow I doubt it.

I had the pleasant experience of visiting the hospital on Sukhumvit Soi 3 last time I was in Bkk. Only a head cold and sore throat, but some relief was badly needed. The service and staff were marvellous, but I paid much more than 30 baht. Still I noticed that were dozens of Thai patients there, who all were being charged the same sort of price as me, so I guess this wasn't a 30 baht hospital.

Only public (government) hospitals are included in this scheme -- not private ones. Anyone with a household registration -- whether Thai national or not -- in Thailand is eligible to receive one of the "gold cards" that allows you to receive 30 baht service. The service is supposed to cover everything from colds to major surgery.

In reality, though, it covers only the most basic care. Yes, they will set your leg if you have broken it, or remove your appendix if you have appendicitis, all for 30 baht. If you have cancer, though, you are not going to receive the most advanced and expensive chemotherapy.

I own a condominium and have my household registration here, so I have received one of the cards. It is only good at one hospital: Central Hospital (rong phayabarn klang). I have not used it yet, and am not likely to use it because the hospital is a crowded, public one where you're likely to wait all day to see a doctor for about thirty seconds, and then receive just rudimentary care.

People who can afford it will continue to patronize private hospitals and clinics where they receive better service and don't have to brush shoulders with the hacking and wheezing masses.

Archived