English Grammar Recommendations, Please?

Savittre

Hi Guys,

I've taught English for a long time in the Far East, but it's usually been an arrangement where I do the conversation part and a local English speaking teacher teaches the grammar. Obviously teaching grammar isn't my strong point, but now I'm teaching upper-intermediate adults and will have some grammar teaching to do.

If I may mention, just in passing, I care very much about doing my best, and I'm worried about letting my students down- this is NOT going to happen!! smile.gif

Anyway, grammar isn't rocket science after all, but I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who could advise me about the best book I can get to teach myself what I need to know to meet my student's needs (as I said, they're upper-intermediate). I've heard of Michael Swan's book as highly recommended, but a friend insists that Raymond Murphy's grammar books (3 of them- Basic, Intermediate and Advanced Grammar in Use) are the best you can get. So I've got some conflicting information I need to get sorted out....

And, it's my job to teach this to my students, but if anyone knows of a book that can help me do this more effectively, I'd be most grateful to hear about it.

Lastly, most of my experience is with teaching kids, and I like to put as much fun and variety into my class as I can. You know, this is easier to accomplish with more basic levels, when you get into the advanced material, the students interest level drops off. But I still think it's possible to keep it interesting and fun, and I'd like to know of any websites, books, what have you that will really let my students enjoy while learning at the same time.

Many thanks!!!!!

Raymond Murphy's books are excellent and there are Thai editions available (around 350 baht each)which reduces the risk of the students becoming confused by the meta-language rather than the grammar itself.

I use them (all three versions) when explaining the technical aspects of English grammar.

If it's teaching English grammar in a fun way try "grammar games" by Jill Hadfield.

Also look at:-

www.onestopenglish.com

www.insideout.com

www.longman-elt.com

www.reward-english.net

www.eslabout.com

www.eslflow.com

www.skyline-english.com.

Archived