Spicy White Jews Ear

phiketpete

No not a religous or poitical post but a food question.

I had dinner last night in a Thai Vietnamese restaurant.

The menu was in english and Thai script. Now i do not read Thai but the english translation of the dish was exactly as above 'Spicy White Jews Ear'.

My GF could not translate the thai for me but was adamant she did not wish to eat it

Does anyone know what the heck this is?

or is it the mistransaltion to end all mistranslations.

After all their snack menu was written as 'snake menu' -- no snakes listed

Thank you kind sir.

You learn something new every day

I must have eaten in reataurants in 100's of cities around the world and i first come across the term in a restaurant in bangkok- go figure.

Next time i am down at the restaurant i will try it and let you know how it tastes

pasathai

What is clown ear fungus ??

White Jews Ear what Pete is talking about is known as its Latin name as Auricularia auricula-judae and became known as White Jews Ear after a Jew called Judas Iscariot hung himself from a tree that this fungus likes to grow on,

It is also called Wood Ear, Black Fungus or Black Ear also as it is not actually white.

I eat it a lot as it is growing all year round on my bamboo in free abundance but it is very leathery and bland I would say.

Racha:

the clown ear fungus is what It was called in an asian cooking class I was in a while ago.

chinese/american teacher.

also, in local asian markets ( in san diego area) it is sold with that name on the package, ( usually in mixed package, listed with other types)

I think the same fungus, just different names in different places.

simple to fix, stir with a little oyster sauce, maybe chuck in a few water chestnuts.

BTW:

anyone here have luck making "nam king desert" ( only name I know it by)

its ginger paste wrapped in glutionus rice flower, and boiled, and served in sweetened ginger water.

really nice stuff, but every time I try making it, it comes out looking like cat balls smile.gif

Archived