ATM card exchange?

Lusty

ATM's give you 1,000, 500, and 100 baht notes. All the machines I have ever used will give max 20,000 baht at one transaction. Don't think I ever actualy seen a 100 baht note from an ATM, but I always get 10,000 or 20,000 baht at a time and it is in 1,000 or 500's.

Also, even though you are accessing a USD account in the US, it will request baht amounts for withdrawl and it will show your balance in baht.

TH

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you ever used TFB? I have never been able to get 20,000 from them as they seem to only stock 500 baht notes in their machines.

Also, if an ATM that normally provides 20k does not have 1,000 baht notes you (always?) will likely not be able to get more than 12,500 (25 bills) per transaction.

>Don't think I ever actualy seen a 100 baht note from an ATM,

Most of the time you can get them, but you will have to forego the 'quick cash' choices and enter an exact amount. I usually withdraw 9900 or 14900 to get at least some smaller bills. Otherwise the ATMs tend to give 1000 baht notes that are a bit inconvenient for buying stuff from street vendors. This also makes it easier to see if someone else is making unauthorised withdrawals...

Wagner

Though CCs charge interest from the time you withdraw the cash from an ATM, some allow you to avoid interest charges if you pay the whole statement amount.

In the UK all of the banks except Frizzell Bank(Liverpool & Victoria, Saga Card) have a hidden foreign currency conversion charge of between 2.5 & 2.75% for purchases made abroad with an additional 1.5 - 2% cash withdrawal charge. Some do not allow you to escape interest charges even if you pay the whole statement amount.

Debit cards tend to have an additional charge, possibly 1.25% of amount withdrawn.

Frizzell Bank charges 1.5% of withdrawal amount with no foreign exchange charges for the Eurozone and 1% for the rest of the world. No interest charges other than the 1.5% of the withdrawal amount, if full statement amount is paid.

Another institution, the Nationwide Building Society supplies a CC as described earlier in this thread.

In my mind the best products in the country for travel purposes.

My advice is to use your DC for cash withdrawals and your CC for purchases to protect yourself from fraudulent use of your account details. This type of fraud is common in Thailand.

Maybe some else has comprehensive info for other countries.

UK banks sucks!

I've just moved here from Denmark & it's an unfair struggle just to open an account & once there they all charge outrageous amounts for stuff like CC's & exchange fee's...

In denmark virtually all banks issue CC/DC's that have the following charges: cashwithdravel abroad atm/bank -> 0-4.5£ or 1,5-4%. currency conversion rate: interbank rate+1% for european currencies & 1,5% for all others! 1,5% on the interbank rate is very competitive especially in countries like LOS etc.

So when banks in the UK would charge much more it'll just mean I'll continue to use my danish CC's when travelling!!!

Actually the best deal in scandinavia is skandiabanken.dk who will issue a VISA debit card for only 12£/year & charge NOTHING to withdraw cash in any VISA ATM worldwide except of course the 1/1,5% conversion rate towards your home currency ;-)

bon voyage!

I'll assume you did read my post. So now you know where to get the best deal in the UK.

I'll reiterate.

The CC deal at http://www.liverpool-victoria.co.uk/ is superior to the skandiabanken.dk DC as there is no annual charge and no currency conversion charge within the EU and only 1% for the rest of the world. There is a 1.5% cash withdrawal charge, though they do pay you interest if you have a credit balance on your account.

The Nationwide DC(http://www.nationwide.co.uk/ )

is the best of all as there are NO charges whatsoever.

Their CC has a 0.5% cash withdrawal charge with No other charges.

So, Mr Denmark,(My girlfriend is Danish) get yourself a Nationwide account and enjoy the best of british.

Cheers. :-)

BTW don't forget about Janteloven.

Archived