"The last time..."

gawguy

Better than ¤ÃÑé§ÊØ´·éÒ which means the last time as in the is no next time, but Didn't you forget to insert µÃ¹·Õè?

Yes, you are right. It would need the 'dtorn tee'.

As for the 'krahng sood tai' I've since asked a Thai friend about it and apparantly when this is used at the start of a sentence it can mean 'the last time (but not the final time)'. So I guess that it's correct although I wasn't aware of this rule but have heard it used in such a context.. On the other hand if it is used at the end of the sentence it means 'the last time, and the FINAL time'... So.....perhaps I've escaped that mistake smile.gif. Falling into the trap of literal translation..

Yes, you could say it like that, but then you have changed the original text into:

Last time we met we had a quarrel.

You cannot tell from the original text what kind of a problem the poster was talking about.

Although I do admit it is most likely that they had some kind of a quarrel.

Hua Nguu

Thai is a minimalistic language especially in its spoken form if you complicate the sentence too much it wont be understood or will sound funny.Keep it simple. Leave out any unnecessary information that can be understand from context already known, like pronouns.

khrung tee laew park tee rongraem dynastee

khrung tee laew rao me bunhaa gun, chai mai

"Khrung soot taay whether at the start or end means or implies the final time."

Ok....I held off on debating this until I'd asked around and got some more opinions. Quite simply it's not true. 'krung soot tai' in the beginning of a sentence simply means 'last time' and not the final time. An example given to me by the Thai language teacher at the school I work at said that it can be used as such; 'krung soot tai tee jer gan khun mee pom yao'. (the last time we met you had long hair)... she also said it's quite commonly used in this way... as did others I asked.

Just thought I'd clear the air.

Cheers,

FF

Archived