when is Loy Kratong, BTW?

pattaya127

Depending where you are, here's a great festival to attend. I have been in LOS on one loy Kratong occasion, and even Pattaya was all bustle about it (1991). So many girls had dressep the part, traditionnal glittering silky long dresses, contest of kratongs along Walking St, Ta kraw competitions in school yard. Not as magical as Nong Khai, a few days before, but quite fun to watch that Marine bar beauty contest once in a while on the preserved video. It went on forever, and the winner and runner-up were just beautiful. Did not even give me the time of day later on upstairs (disco).....frown.gif

Loy Kratong is at different times in Novermber depending on location

18-20 November 2002 Ping River, Amphoe Muang, Tak

11-19 November 2002 Sukhothai

19 November 2002 Chao Phraya River Bangkok

I understood that it was the full moon in the 12th lunar month (Nov.) but could be corrected.

I have always attended in CM and it is the BEST festival in LOS IMNSHO.

The timing in CM this year is Nov 19th. Nothing so spectacular as seeing hundreds of glowing hot air balloons in the sky and thousands of banana leaf boats on the river. The parades are great and CM is in it's glory.

NOT to be missed. Book early to get a place by the riverside.

By the way in CM it is called Yi Peng.

You are correct. 12th full moon. I will Loy my krathong in CM this year. I was surprised I could get a room at Diamond Riverside for 1200 THB and it was not booked up as of last week. Wanted to stay there as traffic is vapor locked around CM for every festival.

I have seen photos of krathong launching at all kinds of locations. Small garden ponds, hotel swimming pools, and in the serf where you pay some one to get it "out to sea" for you.

Correct on the moon thing, and it's almost always in November. Last year it fell on October 31, and I think that's the first non-November date I'd seen.

Thais say the BEST ceremonies are in Sukhothai. Haven't tried it, though.

Archived