10 baht coin versus 2 euro

thalenoi

Has anyone tried to use the 10 baht coin in some european slot machine like the one-armed-parking-meter-bandit?

This week the parking meters in Brussels were "out" not being converted to the new currency. Yesterday on a parking lot in Leuven the stupid machines (I tried several) rejected my 10 baht (beuha!) I never put money in parking meters, it's against my religion. Cops were busy somewhere else, did not get fined!

But at UZL (university hospital), bingo, 10 baht accepted!. (no way out there without a gate ticket)

quote:

Originally posted by thalenoi:

Has anyone tried to use the 10 baht coin in some european slot machine like the one-armed-parking-meter-bandit?

This week the parking meters in Brussels were "out" not being converted to the new currency. Yesterday on a parking lot in Leuven the stupid machines (I tried several) rejected my 10 baht (beuha!) I never put money in parking meters, it's against my religion. Cops were busy somewhere else, did not get fined!

But at UZL (university hospital), bingo, 10 baht accepted!. (no way out there without a gate ticket)

There was an article in the local newspaper today about the 2Euro-10bahtcoin issue today.

People slowly begin to understand there might be a serious problem:

in a lot of gamble-machines 10 baht coins are found.The money they lose PER coin is 1.75 Euro.

It's possible to adjust these machines very precise,but if they do so,the machines don't accept coins of several other European countries any more (the BACKside of the Eurocoins is different in every country).

In the newspaperarticle was said that 10 bahtcoins are in demand right now: 10 bahtcoins with a value of 25 Eurocents are sold for 50 Eurocents. With the purpose of course to commit fraud with these coins.

The CocaCola-machines also accept the 10bahtcoins,but the CocaCola-company said they don't take measures against the fraud as long as it's incidental.

Also some people try to spend 10 bahtcoins as a substitute to 2 Eurocoins in shops etc.

The 10 bahtcoin looks very much similar to the backside of the 2Eurocoin; same size and weight and above all the two-colourstructure(gold in the middle and silver at the edge).

I made a joke some time ago about "there might come a shortage of 10bahtcoins in Thailand after introduction of the Euro"

Maybe time will tell it's not just a joke but reality.

Archived