Advice on finding phone number in Thai.

sky brow

Ok guys ,can anyone help me on this.If I call a operator in thai and I have all the information of a friend i.e.full name ,address,suburb,town. Can the operator find out my friends home telephone number from this info and if so will they give it to me.I also need the number of directory operator or equivelant in thailand.If this is possible will I need to call a operator ,say in bkk or one in Kholart where my friend lives.Im outside the country.Any help on this will be great.Thanks

Call International directory enquiries in the country you are living. They will then put you through to an English speaking operator in Thailand. Then take your choice as to which language will be used to ask for whatever.

As long as you have the name of the registered person forthat phon and address yes they can give you the number.

Just make sure you realize that of maybe 7 million Thai households (for population of 68 million souls), maybe about 7% have access to landline home phone service.

In Korat city, there are phones. In each of the Amphur towns around Korat, there may be a handful of phones. Maybe half the Tambon level villages may have one phone - usually at the home of the pu-yai bahn (headman) of one of the mu-bahns in that village. Almost no villages below Tambon level have even one land-line - and as long as the country is run by the guy who owns the biggest mobile phone service, there are unlikely to be any new landlines being run anytime soon.

What phone service is available in villages is handphones. Of the 93% of households that have no landlines, maybe 40% of these have a mobile phone somewhere in the family.

Bottom line: If your friend is in "Muang" Korat (the downtown city of Nakhon Ratchasima), there may be a better than even chance there's a landline phone. Otherwise, if there is any phone at all, it will most likely be a mobile phone.

Good luck.

"Let the good times roll!"

The Fighting Fish

StoneSoup,

Thanks for the info.I understand what your saying.My mate lives with his wife about 30 mins drive outside of kholart city.Where they live is a small city,fairly modern really compared to a lot of places I have been.They do have a landline phone in their home.Ive tried searching on the Thai phone website given but no luck.I will contact a thai operator and take it from there.And see how I go. cheers

One small problem though. Phones are usually registered in the name of the home owner. Any other person living in the home (in case of rent for instance) is not registered as a phone user and cannot be found as such.

Small correction. Phones are usually registerd to the Chao Bahn (head of the home) on the house registration. This is often - but not necessarily - the home owner.

Archived