Calling Thailand from UK

Long Gun

As the only contact I now have with my lovely, little friends back in Thailand is by phone, and I have absolutely nothing of any interest to add from the last month or so of my life, I thought I would mention a service that I and my wife have found extremely handy, especially given our current financial restrictions.

Telediscount (http://www.telediscount.co.uk) offer calls to any phone in Thailand for 5 pence per minute. No phone cards

or anything involved, and the rate is for ALL phones, mobiles included, anywhere in Thailand (most of our calls are to mobiles in Buriram villages still without landlines). All you need to do is dial 08440 988 988 followed by the international code and number as usual - 00166 etc, no connection fees or extras. If you are a Telewest subscriber you might have problems but they do have an alternative number which is still only 10 pence per minute.

It's good to talk.

LG

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh uh. I checked with BT before I made the call. There can be no other charges since you can only pay for the number you dial. I just spoke to a friend in Bkk on her mobile for 75 mins. I cut out twice during the call and I had to redial . Sometime you have to dial a few times before connect to the 0844 number.

Other than that, seems fine. I will check my bill to see if the unconnected 0844 calls are charged for.

We just got the first bill from Telewest since we started using it and every call is billed at 10p per minute (including VAT - the calls actually show as slightly less). Unfortunately, this morning we couldn't get a connection for the first time - must be all you buggers using it! Others have confirmed that the 5p per minute claim is also true.

LG

Ok, I've checked and double checked. The rate for calling an 0844098 number via BT is 5p per minute at all times. Voila!

Have you looked at their callback service? Looks good also. I used a similar system in the past and it worked reasonably well.

May try it when I'm in Thailand.

www.callbackworldwide.com

Shit... Calling from Thailand to Canada via this www.callbackworldwide.com only costs:

In reply to:

Callcharges From: Thailand To: Canada will be: 8.28

* Prices in Thai Baht per minute, taxes included.

How does it work?If you signup, you'll receive a personal Callbacknumber. Call this number and hang up immediately. Our computer calls you back instantly. Now you can punch in any phonenumber, worldwide at extremely low rates. And remember; not satisfied? Money back guarantee!

Charges are billed in Euro per minute to your Credit Card, and subject to currency fluctuations. But it's still a lot cheaper then PhoneNet VOIP from TOT which charges 14 Baht (charge by second).

BTW... Thailand-USA is 8.30 Baht.

If anyone tries this, please let me know the quality of the service and connection.

CS

Archived