Gaoli Resteraunt reviews

Here's my contribution for some Gaoli (Korean) resteraunts in Bangkok, specifically the ones in koreatown/plaza on sukumvit. The korean plaza is right next to the Grand Sheraton hotel on sukumvit... hmmn I think it's soi 12 or 14. Anyhoo, the korea plaza has multi floors with the ground floor having several resteraunts. There are karaoke places and such on the higher floors but I never been.

Karobe(might be off on the spelling. the resteraunt has a bright red sign with something close to what I spelled)

Ordered the yang nyum kalbi(200bt) and yang nyum bulgogi(180bt). The meat was extremely tender. Although it was good, I like a bit of texture to my beef. The kimchi was so-so. My GF actually said that Fuji's kimchi was better! Gah, good thing none of the owners of karobe heard that. As with any AUTHENTIC korean resteraunt, they littered the table with a dozen side dishes and kimchi. I give this place smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif out of five.

Doorae

This seems to be several of my friends favorite korean joint. I like this place alot as well. Again, I ordered yang nyum kalbi(220bt) and bulgogi(200bt). But in this place, the bulgogi is served like sukiyaki. Usually, bulgogi is served as boneless beef seasoned or unseasoned and cooked on the personal bar b q pit on the table. It was good still nonetheless, but different...

The kalbi here was great! I give this place smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif out of five.

yang nyum kalbi: seasoned beef short ribs.

yang nyum bulgogi: seasoned boneless beef (bulgogi literally translates to fire beef tongue.gif )

yang nyum: seasoning or seasoned

always get the seasoned beef at a korean resteraunt.

• 4 weeks later...

A quick shout to my Oaktown homey ....

Based on what you are ordering ... I would suggest that the first restaurant on the ground floor (closest to the street, same side as other restaurants) is a better choice. I forget the name but I think they specialize more on the kalbi bulgogi stuff.

Doorae is indeed my favorite place ... but I don't order that fancy stuff .... just quick simple stuff ... like cold noodle or soup.

Most Koreans I know don't order yang nyum (seasoning or seasoned) kalbi. Just ribs cooked with no seasoning ... and then wrapped in lettuce .... damn, I better get some sleep and go there for a breakfast/lunch :-))

P.S. K restaurants back home (Brothers on Geary, SF) or Telegraph joints (Oakland/Berkeley) are lot better, IMHO ... but then again, I really didn't like Korean food that much in Korea :: The beef taste really different.

Jazz,

If you know about Brothers resteraunt on Geary, I'll give you a better recommendation. Wooden Charcoal BBQ on geary. It's pretty close to brothers. Easiest direction is the building in the same block as Jack in the Box on Geary st(richmond district).

IMHO, brothers resteraunt is way way overrated. Although many koreans know about it, it's overpriced for so-so cuisine.

About the yang-nyum, it's been 50/50 for me. I see alot of people order saeng( no seasoning ) kalbi but in LOS, I'd just recommend the seasoned. It's hard to track down "quality" beef.

That koreatown area is far from me so I usually "pig out" whenever I get a chance to go. I haven't eaten Korean food in 2 weeks now, I'm jonesing for some!

A real shame about most of the korean resteraunts in LOS is the rice.... FOR SHAME!!!! With some of the prices of the dishes, I'm sure they could afford some short/medium grain rice for fucks sake!

WTF is going on with da Raiders y0?!!!!! >_< 2 weeks ago they were the only undefeated team in the nfl. Now they lost 2 in a row! It's a conspiracy to fuXor my happiness I tell you!

<<Wooden Charcoal BBQ on geary>>

Been there done that but still prefer Brother #1. Mind you ... Bro #2 ain't the same although it's only a block away.

Problem is my ex g/f Japanese chick and her family/friends are now also hooked on Brother's (and we're longtime customers there - 8 yrs or so) and whenever I go, I typically run into 'em. I don't mind but it does make the lunch/dinner a lot longer as I'm not home much these days. And #1 is packed unless you get there early. Love banchan there(condiments).

You know, I've lived in both side of the bridge (sold my house in Alameda this year) and have attended more Raider's and A's games in my life but I'm actually 49ers/Giants fan. And I know I've been gone for awhile since I can't recognize the teams. Have to say though ... Raider tailgate BBQ before the game is *must do* event ... can get crazy and scary.

I don't miss my yuppy house in Alameda ... but do miss living in my ex's beautiful Victorian in The City and my small studio in The Mission. Can't find decent Mexican food around here ... like Blue Parrot's in Pattaya.

I took my Thai ex-g/f to Doorae yesterday and the day before we ate at Shilla on Soi 22. Her choice both days ... she actually likes Korean food ...

Archived