greatest sprinter ever dies

pattaya127

in memoriam BOB HAYES, dead at 59, formerly 1964 100 gold medal in the Olympics, then a Dallas Cowboy with a super bowl crown. Some were legends like Jesse Owens, some had all-around more class like Carl Lewis, but no one ever matched the awesome display of power and speed Bob displayed after 40 meters. he ran the last leg of the 4X100 in those games in 8"9, after a lousy baton pass, on an old unsynthetic track, 5 yards behind the french team and finished 3 meters ahead. WOW!

I read a french article about his death. Apparently it was 8"6 in the last leg. hard to believe, and never approached by anyone since then. The french sprinter he caught up with remembers leading the race for a good stretch, then heard a ruffling noise, like a locomotive (his word), getting closer. it was hayes passing everyone by. It can be seen in "TOKYO OLYMPIADS", the movie about the 1964 games, which deserves mention, as it is one of the best movie about the Olympics ever made.

Agree...the movie was very realistic.

Being one of the few on this board to actually be old enough to have been at those Olympics (and was), I can say it was a moment to remember. (And I'm not even an American)

In the 1964 Olympics, Billy Mills,an American Indian, ran a long distance race (10,000 meters) and dramatically won ahead of the favorites. His win has been called the most shocking upset in modern sports history.

There was a movie "Running Brave" made about his life and his Olympic win.

Just recalled him after I saw that you had attended the 1964 Olympics.

Archived