USB 1.1 or 2 newbie question

Palatkik

How does one tell if ones PC notebook USB port is USB 1, 1.1 or 2 standard? Can this be down through the o/s?

I notice they have lots of USB2 peripheral products available these days but don't know if I need to get the PC card USB 2 port replicator to get best speed out of them or if my USB port is already type 2.

Cheers,

Hi!

I don't know if this helps but you could check the "Device manager". My work computer is to old to have USB higher than 1. It only states that there a USB driver installed. Perhaps a newer version of it would have that information in the "Device manager".

regards

ALHOLK

I don't think you can see it through the OS. (W98 nor XP.)

I have a USB 2.0 card installed and the reason I CAN see it in the Device Manager is because the Dirver is labeled 'NEC USB 2.0'. That's the name the manufacturer decided on.

In MSI, it only shows up as 'USB Device'.

Its almost certain that you have usb 1. I dont know of any notebooks with 2.0, although i havent kept up with the market for awhile so its possible someone has come out with that in just the last few months. I suspect notebook manufacs have been slow to include this because of micro$oft$ taking so long to include the drivers in xp. Now that they have i expect this to be a common feature on notebooks and firewire as an external interface will probably start to decline in popularity.

Archived