Lariam

limbo

Hi,

I've been reading some posts here regarding Malaria pills. I was not able to find anything on Lariam.

Out of own experience, when I did my first trip to LOS, a few years back, my doc prescribed Lariam to me. Upon arrival I started to have a few problems with it, paranoia at night, nightmares etc, and after discussing it with fellow travellers found out that Lariam basically sucks and can do weird things with you. The side effects can be very severe. I immediately stopped taking it and never touched it again. The next trip I had diffirent pills but after a few days stopped taking these as well and ever after never used any pills for malaria again.

Maybe Lariam is good to fight Malaria once you contract it, but other than that I consider it bad news.

Anybody out there having similar experiences with Lariam or any other comments to make on this subject?

Maybe this has been a thread already, than sorry for bringing it up again, but I couldn't find anything.

Limbo

I had severe side effects similar to your desriptions so stopped taking it after a few weeks use in thailand/laos. unfortunately I then contracted maleria severel weekes later in India, but still I'll never use lariam again for prevention - only treatment. might use others, but it's only really relevant for extensive trips covering rural remote areas well off the trotten tourist path...

cheers!

I used maleron. it is a fairly new product with minimal side effects. It isnt cheap but then again getting malaria isnt cheap. but all and all the best thing to do is make sure you reduce the cause. Wear long pants and sleeves at night. Also get some good repelent.

Archived