Sign Language on Sukhumwit...

MooNoi

Good Morning...

A lot of the vendors along Sukhumwit from Soi 4 towards Soy 22 etc. seem to be deaf and dumb and use sign laguage. I would understand if it was one or two, but vendor after vendor on the stalls seems to communicate like this. Anyone know what the story is? Just curious.

The story I have is that the goverment gave some assistance for Deaf vendors to set up in business along there. that way they could earn a living. I bet whoever did that is now kicking himself for not tying himself in for a percentage. they do extremely good business along there.

Many deaf people work in the Silom area as well.

There is a chapter devoted to this in "Bangkok People" by James Eckardt (Bangkok 1999, Asia Books, 263 pages, ISBN 974-8237-35-4). -- Unfortunately, I don't remember the story and I don't have the book at hand. frown.gif" border="0

Straycat

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Straycat ]

Some 15 years ago, a disgruntled employee at a publishing company in Germany injected a sentence into a guide book on Thailand, which went s.th. like,

" ... and the best women to be had are the deaf and dumb street vendors in Patpong, because they can't talk back."

When feminists came across this, all hell broke loose and of course the employee was unceremoniously kicked out. Pity the poor author who got the initial blame. Don't know what happened to the employee - might be running a BJ bar for all I know. Or maybe a home for the deaf ...

Most of these deaf people had their deafness bought on through contracting Mumps or Measles as children. 20-30 years ago immunization here was so expensive to be almost unheard of.I see far more deaf people in Thailand of this age group than I do in London.

Cheers

Roger

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Roger ]

Archived