Best deal on ADSL in the UK

chilli13

Guys,

what's the best deal around for broadband always on internet if you live in the London area? I don't need the regular (BT) phone line ,but understand it's a requirement for most ADSL ISP's...

So I guess I'm looking at the BT line rental of 13£ or so + at least some 20£ for ADSL each month. then comes startup fees modem etc...

any deals where you can avoid the BT line rental or they provide modem/filters/setup free of charge? basically I'm after the cheapest monthly flat fee so I can surf nanaplaza at ease ;-)

thanks!

You may have been too hasty in your summing up. Four points.

The £15 monthly you quote is only for a connection speed of 128k, not the 512k you would expect from a Broadband connection.

NTL do have 600k and 1MB connection speeds, though they are £24.99 and £34.99 respectively.

NTL may not have service in your area.

You are subject to a minimun term contract.

A better plan may be for the V21 plan at £22.99 with no minimum term.

Go to; http://www.ispreview.co.uk/broad1.shtml

Who do you use now?

right now I use gprs or hscsd(mobile data connection) which offers between 20-45k speeds depending on network load, signal strentgh, luck etc, so a stable 128k would make me pretty happy - hell 256k would be heaven :-)

anyways your isp reviewer link suggest Gio as cheapest adsl at £15,32+vat for 500k?

anyways I'm in NTL&Gio servicearea, but not telewest etc, so I guess I'm settled - couldn't find that v21 offer...

thanks for your inputs

Orange qoutes only 28.8k connection speed for HSCSD. You saying it as fast as 45k?! That not bad.

They also say it 20p per minute, surely you're not paying that?

well I just know the highest possible hscsd speed is around 43k, but what each network offers I'm not sure. probably vodafone supports 43k? about prices: well I'm on company phones ye know so who cares :-)

normally I use gprs which charges per MB, so I don't need to worry about connection time...

anyways my company should be happy as soon as I get the NTL line activated!

Let me know the final costs. They've got some special offer on at the moment with the connection charges.

It sounds like you are using the GPRS service with Vodaphone. I'm not sure they support HSCSD, only Orange support HSCSD in the UK.

I'm SURE if you're using a mobile to connect to the internet via GPRS, your company will breathe a sigh of relief when you're connected to NTL. :-)

ib,

the lack of initial response may have been due to the fact this board is kind of angled towards things thai.... just a thought, you know.

Now if you'd posted about the best DSL deal in bangkok i'd have been all over it i can tell you.......

Next time you're over here make some enquiries about DSL in thailand - you'll leave feeling a little bit smug. Of course, it's only an internet connection....

regards

coops

Archived