old furniture

i just bought an old glass cabinet today, all teak, for 5000 baht, very beautyful.

i like to buy a piece of old furniture once a while, over the years i have bought several very nice pices. still, here in thailand certain things are still absolutely undervalued, like chinese art deco furniture. you can find glass cabinets for less than 2000 baht, sofas, chairs and tables very reasonably. mostly made from teak by chinese carpenters who emigrated from shanghai in the early 1920's. as far as i know, there are harly any fakes around from that period not like the older stuff, which is faked very well in burma.

tasteful furniture made today is often way more expensive than those pieces, and somehow lacks in soul.

the prices won't stay much longer in that range though as a lot of it is bought up by dealers in huge amounts. since i started buying a few years ago prices have risen already significantly and nice pieces are getting harder to find.

places to look for those things in bangkok:

klong tom market on saturdays, sometimes there are nice things around sometimes nothing, but at times excellent snaps can be found (and sometimes some seller asks ridiculous prices from the "rich" farang)

behind chatuchak are some huge warehouses with all sorts of furniture, prices a bit on the higher side, but you will definately find something.

in the suburbs you can see sometimes tentlike shops along the highways who sell old wooden stuff, better prices than chatuchak, still a bit more expensive than klong tom.

ouside bangkok, in lopburi or ayuttaya i guess the prices are cheaper

Actually, the warehouses in Baan Tawai, 25 kms south of Chaing Mai have some real nice thai style furniture, and i am still surprised at the price, compared to BKK or Pattaya. Nothing antic, but real nice stuff, IMO. i am always tempted to have some shipped to Pattaya, if it was not for the breakage tantrum mrs P127 throws once every 2 year frown.gif, ahaha!

• 3 weeks later...

it's a weekend market in chinatown.

cornered by chalern krung, rathchawong and worachak roads, near the "rong ban gang". lots of people selling anything you can imagine. for furniture, the best day is saturday after about 16.00

Archived