No condoms allowed!

Lord Toad

Just out of curiousity, who actually uses these machines?

It seemed to me that there was always some sort of drug store (or multi-purpose store) in or just outside all the nightlife areas where you could get any supplies you might need. If you were actually having sex in the bar, then that might be a different matter (but that's pretty rare for most bars, right?).

It was thought he would be at Nana around 10pm. So I sat at Big Dogs waiting to ask senior P how much he charges for short time...but he was a no show.

Then, after midnight, I was speaking to the owner of the newly opened Angel Witch (party Sat night) and he said that 3 people had told him Mr. P. had visited Soi Cowboy around 9:30pm. Can anybody confirm and update what he found?

Hey, Mr. Condom King - where are you .......????????

As proprieter of the Bodyguard product line (and an honest to goodness advertiser here - meaning that you really do help pay the way for all of us on this board), it seems that your livelihood might really be under assault.

Without butting heads with Khun Sanuk's move to depoliticize the board (which I suspect is well justified in this day and age, and locale), what are you hearing about the intermediate and longer-term prospects of keeping your vending machines cranking away amidst the sanuk venues?

You have my sincerest sympathy - you should be in a position where your business should never have to swim "against the tide", but in the alternative universe that seems to be playing itself out around BKK these days....... well, who knows.

Try to keep your powder dry - sooner or later, your products should be back in good graces.

"Let the good times roll!"

B-Fly BKK

Several BGs told me the boys in brown will sometimes check their purses and when they find condoms it gives them ground to harass the girls. Though I suspect they do it mostly to extort a few Baht rather than to prosecute, it certainly makes it harder for the girls to protect themselves.

We have a series of posts reporting farangs carting condom machines out of Nana (that must have been quite a sight) and expectations of an "official visit" Friday night. I saw no further posts and nothing on the websites for The Nation or the Bangkok Post. I assume that nothing happened is that right?

It is now Saturday night here and in Bangkok? Anything happen?

If anyone had said at the beginning of the year 2001 that condom vendors would be forced to remove their machines from Nana bars, that Khun Sanuk would have to close his boards to discussions about Thai politics because of fear of reprisals and that there was serious talk about the end of Nana, I would thought him crazy. What a difference a year can make.

Hi everyone, Yes, that was me carting the condom machines out of Nana Plaza on Friday evening. For those who are interested, this is what happened:

I was at home watching a vcd on Thursday night around midnight when the mobile phone rang. (The number is posted on every machine.) My wife answered, hopped out of bed and became very animated. The call was from the police department to inform us that all the machines had to be removed immediately.

Hmmm...I though, well, I'm certainly not going to run down to Nana at this time of night with a bag of tools and a hand truck and start working. If they want to rip them off the wall tonight they can go ahead and do it and I'll deal with it in the morning. My business is registered and we do pay taxes and it's all very legal, not to mention beneficial to all those who take advantage of using the machines.

I also got a couple of calls from Farang bar owners so we decided to get up, get dressed and go check it out. When we got there my wife found a couple of policemen to chat with and we were told about the visit scheduled for fiday night and could we please take the machines out by friday evening at 6 PM, otherwise the police would have to either take them off the wall or close the bar at least for the night. They seemed to be concerned about some newspaper article regarding a condom found on the floor of a gogo bar the week before and didn't want to have a problem during the next evening's inspection.

OK, I can understand these guys worrying about their jobs. The condom machines are there as a convenience to the bar customers and a way to introduce new customers to my product. They don't really bring in a lot of money, but, of course, I'd rather have them on someone's wall than sitting in my warehouse.

The crackdown "is what it is" but it certainly is not going to stop anyone from having sex. I think I'll continue to sell condoms here whether it's in a pharmacy, minimart or from a condom machine. Ironically, I been told that the government is working on a plan to install condom machines all over Thailand in an further effort to stem the spead of AIDS. Uh, good idea.

Anyhow, I am hoping to be able to reinstall the machines, either where they were or somewhere else appropriate to sell the product. I guess I'll lose a few locations that don't feel "safe" having a condom machine on the wall of their bar while this repressive atmosphere pervails. That's the way it goes, in the mean time it does give us a chance to clean up and repaint the machines.

BTW, I haven't been posting for a while because I just don't have the time right now but I do still monitor this board and couple of others and I want to thank everyone for their support. smile.gif" border="0

Archived