First time to Thailand any advice you can offer Please?

Hi All,

well it seems after many months of constant cajoling i can't convince any of my mates to come to thailand with me! Bummer!!! Still i am determined to make the trip alone if need be, and was hoping perhaps you folks could offer me some advice/tips etc!

I have to admit i do feel a little anxious about making the trip from the UK alone as i have heard of some pretty bad stories & experiences of some single travellers!

I am not sure whether just to visit Bangkok or combine a week or tow there with a trip to Koh Samui or Pattaya for a further week! do you think with it being the first time i should just to Bangkok?? also is there any particular areas/Bars etc where Brits hang out that you can recommend! I also am not sure whether to book a package deal or just flights and arrange accomodation on arrival! and advice on this would be very welcome!!

What is the weather/Climate Like in Feb/March???

Ok i prattled on enough for my fisrt post I'm sure!!

Please help if you can any help/advice would be very gratefully accepted!!

For starters, there's an abundance of knowledge to be found here, but you'll find that most will not "spoon feed" it to you, you have to do a lot of reading on your own, then when you have specific questions, ask in the appropriate forum, and you'll get a number of replies.

First ... where?

You don't seem to be clear on how long you'll be in LOS (Land of Smiles), but if you have only one week, then stick to Bangkok, and if you've lots of energy, try Pattaya for 2 nights ... but that's only if you don't mind blowing the better part of a day to check out, and check back in to other hotels ...

Which hotel?

depends on your tastes and budget, but commonly mentioned in bangkok include the Grand President, and Majestic Suites ... the former a bit more expensive, the latter, more budget oriented, but outstanding service, and very nice rooms, and only 1 minute walk from your room to Nanaplaza ... (i've stayed at both, and either will be fine) ...

in pattaya, others have more experience, but Eastiny Inn or Eastiny Place (same owner) and Pattaya Centre seem to be mentioned often ... I've been happy at Eastiny

if you have two weeks, then by all means visit pattaya ... and you could make a run to koh samui, staying in between chaweng and lamai beaches and rent a jeep ... a couple of days there should do it ... ride elephants and visit waterfalls there ... but might want to think about bringing a girl with you ... as selection is much more limited there ...

the north can be very interesting also ... that's the beauty of LOS ... from bangkok, you're one hour from pattaya, chiang mai, and the southern islands ...

ya pays yer monies, and ya takes yer choices ... also, see the "sanukers preferences in women surveyed" thread for a link to a posters homepage, with pix and other links (including links back here) ...

sanuk!

PS - climate will be ideal then, and yes, arrange your own airfare, and book the FIRST nights lodging before you leave ... the rest will unfold magically and you WILL have fun!!

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: tc4rob ]

Hey Dave

I did my first trip of six weeks solo. I had a great time and I know you will too. Unless you are a total jerk you will have no problems. By the way you sound like a nice guy so I am sure you will do fine. Its really very simple once you get there. I agree just book the flight and your first night or two in Bangkok and the rest will unfold for you. I felt very safe everywhere I went. Thailand is a lovely place, and the more of it you see the better you will like it. Don't run all over the place, but it is easy and cheap to fly to the north or the south. The great thing about Thailand for me was that after a couple of days I just let go of my inhabitions (but not my common sense) and just went with whatever was happneing. If I didn't like someplace I just moved on. There is no reason to not enjoy youself almost %100 of the time. The only word of warning is that after you have gone you will never be the same. This is a good thing though Ha Ha

Dave,

Must answers are here on the board, just check and read a lot, and you'll you that all will come together soon.

Do ask yourselve when, how long, how much, and fill in the gaps.

As for travelling alone, I've done it hundreds of time in more countries you can imagine, AND you always meet people on the spot, unless you show asocial behavior that is...

Good luck and come back with more specifics, ok ?

Just back from a 3wk stint myself which I did solo. 2nd time in LOS so was easy choice for me.

With 3wks if you have it, 1st wk in hectic bkk and maybe last wk in easy samui. In samui stay in evergreen resort on Chaweng and you can't go wrong, hire the bike straight away for 150Baht/day. My only complaint with my second visit to samui is the crappy 2am closing time, most fun previous visit was in the after 2am drinking, but it's still a treat. Samui is a good place for going with a lady for a number of days while bkk is the place to butterfly.

One thing though, don't try and cram too many places into your trip, 1 location/week I think to make sure things stay relaxed.

Archived