Shipping personal goods to thailand

haltest

Not sure where to post this so here goes....

Finally getting round to move to BKK and I have found a shipping company to take all my stuff, books, DVDs computer, guitars and stuff.

Will I get hit with charges on this if I ship it all over?

I was thinking of shipping it to a thai friend of mine who used to study in the west, is this a good idea to get the stuff through?

Any advice from someone who has gone through this would be appreciated

Check the thread:

http://board.nanaplaza.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=127412&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1#Post127529

I have had limited exp., but it was not fun. 8 hours later at customs I was quite a few bht lighter.

Have a friend in Pattaya who made the move 1 1/2 yrs ago, shipping by container, he still bitches about the cost. My advice is get a good shipping agent, find out the price before hand, and shop around if the price dosen't sound right.

Haltest: "I was thinking of shipping it to a thai friend of mine who used to study in the west, is this a good idea to get the stuff through? "

Thai people returning to Thailand can ship back their personal household goods with no duty owed.

I have not shipped stuff but you should ask your friend if he can ship with his personal stuff or ask the shipping company (esp. Thai shipping co) if they can arrange something to minimize the duty costs. There are ways.

• 1 month later...

I brought 420Kgs from the UK over 2 years ago. Never again!

Just bring your good, 100%cotton clothes and towels etc.

I got ripped off on duty for 10 yr old music cassetttes etc.

Buy what you need here.......... Good Luck!

depends very much on the forwarder. i had once my stuff shipped over and paid almost nothing, and two years later almost exactly the same stuff again with a different forwarder and paid lots. go figure... ::

I am shipping it all with a UK based company and they are supposed to do it all door to door. Pick it up from my house in the UK and deliver to my new address in Bangkok.

I got a non immigrant visa as well for a year before I get my work permit processed, I was hoping (obviously) that I could get all my stuff over (mostly books with some guitars and stuff) over without having to pay through the nose.....

I guess I just need to keep my fingers crossed and see what happens.

Archived