Shipping personal goods to thailand

haltest

If you have a work permit you are allowed to ship in personal posessions free of duty.

*However* You must ship them within 3 months of your arrival date. i.e. if your non imm 'b' was used to enter Thailand on 1st January, and your work permit (issued on *that* visa) was issued a few weeks later, you would have until the 31st march to import the goods.

(I know, I've done it before)

The customs regulatons are actually within 6 months of the date of your work permit.

The cargo can arrive up to one month PRIOR to the date of the work permit, and then up until 6 months after. Does not refer back to the Non-Immigrant visa date.

And the regulations are very strict about what is considered "personal effects", which are duty free and "household effects" which are not.

The normal interpretation is that one electrical item is a personal effect, more than one would be household effects.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

One is allowed to bring a small amount of stuff into the country duty-free on each trip. I think its 20,000 baht (Its posted on the sign in the immigration cue to LEAVE at the airport in BKK). If one is patient, one can just bring in a few things at a time, or have visiting friends ferry in a few things at a time, etc. This would be both legal and duty free.

RickF

Archived