work permit on O visa

Yes, I can confirm this. I have my work permit on a Class O visa.

The rule is that on both the day you submit the work permit application (Form Tor Thor 2) and on the day you pick up your work permit booklet at DOL (typically 10-15 days later), you must be on an entry permit issued in conjunction with a non-immigrant visa - of any type.

My company (which is an advertising sponsor of the Carreers/Finances section of this board) handles processing for work permits.

If you want to contact me off-line, I can send you the full list of items needed for W.P. - info@indo-siam.com

"Let the good times roll!"

The Fighting Fish

Yes , as others have said , a WP is doable if you have a non 'o'. My WP is with me having a non 'o'. That was the easy part !

My problem wasn't the visa but the fact that my home address is in one province , my office in another and the WP had to include 2 other provinces ! If you really want to see how Thai officialdom works , that's the scenario to be in !! ::

As I've been married to a Thai since November last year I'd be interested in exactly how old you Non-O guys are and what you had to do to get your type-O visas? My experience has been that it's easier to do that one outside of Asia as they do not require you to show any "money" per se.

I started off getting a Type O visa at the Thai consulate in Hawaii, then once in Thailand I found gainful employment and obtained a work permit and annual visa, which has been renewed every year since. I later became legally married to a Thai, so whereas I show documents every year showing my legal employment and legal marriage, I have been informed that a job loss will not result in losing my visa, as long as I stay legally married.

I entered Thailand with a tourist VISA.

Once in Thailand I married my TG and changed my tourist VISA into a NON-IMMIGRANT type O (supporting family).

The two most important documents were my bank statement, I had to have my own account in Thailand with at least 250.000 Baht, and my marriage certificate.

As far as I can remember correctly I also needed house registration and some other standard info.

I must say that this wasn't easy at all, because I had to have at least 1 month on my tourist VISA before asking for NON-IMM. type O. This process takes a lot of time, I was very lucky my wife had (still has, thank god) a good friend working there. If it wasn't for this immagration officer I would have had to leave Thailand and enter it again with a new tourist VISA, because of my expiring VISA.

Goodluck!

Archived