Worlds best cities for expats: Melbourne, Vancouve

Happy to see that someone else was shocked to see Detroit listed as #54. I had to spend 6 months there 2 years ago for work. The poor people of Detroit have been suffering from a terrible local economy for years. Many abandoned buildings downtown, the roads have potholes large enough to park your car in and so on.

Also, I grew up in a city once rated one of the 10 most dangerous to live in in the US but not at all as scary as downtown Detroit at night.

On top of all that, the weather is terrible - wet, grey, damp, cold for months each winter.

Give me BKK or anyplace else in LOS anytime.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I grew up in a city once rated one of the 10 most dangerous to live in in the US but not at all as scary as downtown Detroit at night.

I'm not from the US, granted, but its generally acknowledged that the Murder, er, Motor City is a scary place, day or night. I believe that Atlanta and DC (pre-sniper) are also pretty full-on when it comes to violent crime.

Some of the midwest rust-belt has actually enjoyed a renaissance in the past ten years (Chicago comes to mind), but sadly Detroit doesnt seem to have caught the wave. Any city which produced both Ted Nugent AND the 67 Camaro cant be all bad :)

Ah, those forulative teenage years, hearing Gene Simmons lashing his tounge as Kiss ripped into "Detroit Rock City" after the anounncer finished screaming "You wanted the hottest band in the world, ladies and gewntlemen, KISS...."

And then I discovered Ted Nugent before I heard this Australian with a scottish accent sing about the last train out of Sydney, That of course was Jimmy Barnes of Cold Chisel singing Khe Sahn. Then he really became my hero when he married a Thai deplomats daughter.

Khe Sahn is a great song , he sung it at the concert for the farmers on saturday nite, still goes down well, thouhg would have been better in a pub in the early 80's

At the risk of being flamed, I vividly remember seeing Chisel, Midnight Oil and The Angels on the SAME bill in Sydney in the early 80's. The Stagedoor tavern is long gone now, but it witnessed some mighty shows during its short heyday. Cant remember ever paying more than $10 to get in the door - they made most of their money from drink sales :)

People prattle on about how well people like Kylie have done OS, but the late 70's thru late 80's were the golden years of Oz rock, for mine. Fave live band : Radio Birdman. Yeah, Hup !

I agree A , the 70's & 80's were the golden days of Oz pub rock, the stuff around now is without exception pretty shite. Id Silverchair are the best band in Oz then I am obviously chronically deaf, & they seem to be the only band that has been around for longer than a couple of months. There are a few non comercial bands that rate but they never get the breaks they deserve. I have only recently started going out again to see bands at pubs & nothing much has changed in the 5 years since I stopped. Small bands that are good to have a nite out to, but will never really get anywhere-unfortunately-whilst the kylies & the savage gardens hurn out stomach churning ultra-shite!

zoot,

Check out a recent release called 'The Datsuns'. I honestly havent enjoyed an album/CD this much since Birdman released their debut back in '78.

If you put Thin Lizzy in a room with The Hoodoo Gurus and some serious amphetamines, youd get something close to The Datsuns - they absolutely rock :)

Archived