Slovakia v. England

Steve

"Not sure about that. Objectively, they were unlucky to go out of both the 1990 and 1998, having outplayed Germany and Argentina, respectively. English clubs have been doing fine in Europe over the last few years - certainly as well as any other nation - and look to be getting better and better. "

Outplaying someone in 1 semi isn't even close to a trophy! When did England last get to a final in a major tournament? 1970?

I don't agree that English teams have been doing that well lately in Europe. But even if they had, look at the Spanish league and Spain. The best league when it comes to European trophies. But their national side continue to fail...

It is interesting that you mention Denmark in 1992. I think one of the reasons they did so well was zero pressure. Nobody expected them do do anything, they came in through the back door when Yugoslavia was thrown out. Their style was negative, they didn't care much what people thought about it.

When it comes to improving for England, getting the side together for more time than today would help. But thats not going to happen with the financial state of clubs now.

Cheers!

Outplaying someone in a semi-final IS close to a trophy! It's one game away. England last got to a final in 1966 (the 1970 side were a very fine side but got knocked out in the quarter-finals by West Germany after having been 2-0 up, thinking it was safe and taking off Bobby Charlton :().

Yep, that 'even if they had' strikes a chord. English sides won the European Cup in 7 out of 8 seasons from 1977-1984, which corresponded with a dismal period for the national side. But even then England didn't play like one of those sides. (Have England ever played 'normally'?)

Oh well, at least you reminded me about Spain ::

Yes, English teams did pretty well in Europe if you go back to the 70's and 80's. Thats a long time ago though..

If you think a semi is that close to a trophy, I guess Turkey and South Korea rank pretty high now!

Back to comparing the style of clubs and national teams, I would think coaches like Taylor and Wilkinson aimed for a

more direct type of football like English sides play(ed). It was no success.

One of the most underrated English managers was Robson. Why didn't they keep him?

Cheers!

Archived