China Chronicles Pt VIII - Coming Home

gobbledonk

The trip back began with boredom and got worse. I had to wait at Nanning Airport for around 1.5 hours before my plane came at 1320 - the 1 hour flight to Shenzhen was OK. They have a counter at Shenzhen which sells bus tickets to Hong Kong Airport or Kowloon. They put a sticker on you which allows the staff at various checkpoints to reallocate people to buses, then the fun starts. After loading my luggage onto the bus, it drives to a Customs checkpoint in Shenzhen, everyone unloads their luggage and goes through Customs while they check the buses for stowaways, then we have to find our buses again. Their were at least 500 people at the other side of the checkpoint, and about 30 buses - it was bedlam. Finally found my bus, reloaded the luggage and drove into Lo Wu, for entry into Hong Kong. Unload luggage, recover passports and go through it all again ...

The trip improved when we reached the bridge between Kowloon and Lantau Island : the views were spectacular on both sides of us. This is a magnificent harbour - words fail me : you really need to see it for yourself. When I arrived at the airport, the checkin process was smooth and I went through Customs (again ..) without any problems. Had a five hour wait for my flight, bt it went reasaonbly quickly. There are a lot of shops and restaurants at this huge new airport, although their prices are incredibly inflated. I paid $HK98 for a meal (chicken and rice plus a can of beer ..), but I was so hungry that I didnt care. Magazines and books were even more expensive than they are here in Oz.

We get the boarding call, and I step onto the plane, happy that I am finally Brisbane bound. My joy turns to disappointment when I realise that I am seated next to 3 burly Norwegians who have quite obviously been drinking. Two of them are cool, and sleep most of the time, but one keeps drinking, talking loudly and singing, despite my protests. I eventually complain to the cabin crew, who then refuse to serve him any more alcohol. We arrive at Cairns in Far North Queensland, the aircraft lands and our drunken friend gets to experience a high-altitude hangover. His eyes are like slits, and he is clearly in pain. When we all get back on board, he is nowhere to be found. The airport Security staff eventually locate him and put him back on the plane. He is catatonic for the remainder of the flight, and causes no further problems. I am pissed off that he is sleeping soundly while I got no sleep during his early morning antics.

It is a very relieved white boy who finally steps through the front door of his home sometime shortly after midday.

That could be the reason for the 'conservative' behavior of her father about which you've reported in another thread. Many Han (in Mainland China) are quite open minded towards foreigners and I know of some Chinese (Shanghai area) where foreigners are welcomed with open arms (perhaps they see them as walking ATM's like many Thais do)

Hmm, the future ...

Ad jp1 mentioned, there is another issue with her father, but thats not the main roadblock. I really feel she needs time to mature - CG is the baby of the family, and I suspect that her life has been a little too sheltered. This is probably what enrages her father when she disobeys him ('We've given you everything, and this is how you repay us !'). One of her sisters is a doctor, and the other one married 'Mr Perfect', so she feels a comparative flop in her parents eyes.

The other aspect is practical : I believe that her fiance visa application will be more likely to succeed if she finishes her Masters Degree in China. The two remaining years will give her more time to mature, and test the strength of our relationship.

I did offer to pay for her to visit Oz, but she would have to come as part of an accompanied tour where they get exactly one day in BrisVegas ... Only residents of Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou are permitted more leeway than this.

... Only residents of Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou are permitted more leeway than this.

Same with Chinese visitors to Japan. If they are from the 3 mentioned cities they may get the permission for individual trips, otherwise only tourist groups are granted the exit visa from China. The background is that because of the relative wealth in the big cities, those visitors will come back to China whereas people from the countryside tend to overstay their trips abroad.

I remember my first visit to China in 1981 (I think) to Canton as it was then and I had to go as part of an organised tour from Hong Kong. I had a spare weekend and signed up for the tour. Train to Lo Wu cross the border on foot, train to Canton etc. I was under the impression that rules for travel had relaxed a lot, obviously only to a limited extent.

The funny thing about the tour was that there was only me and a French guy on it who was late for everything and being British I never mentioned it, on the last day I got to the hotel reception to find find him waiting for me and got a bollocking for being late!

I tried to give the Chinese guide a tip but he wouldn't take cash but asked instead for any books we didn't want. I had just finished James Clavell's Noble House and gave it to him, I often wonder what he made of it!

Good luck to you both.

Taipan

Archived