Condom Vending Machines

CondomKing

This is good news. There have been a number of indications that things are loosening up in NEP, and I am wondering if this is another indicator. You mention "most of the machines have been reinstalled and a few new locations have been added."

Presumably the bar owners, the police or both told you it was OK to reinstall the machines. If you feel comfortable commenting, can you say if this is correct, and if so, if any barowners made any comments suggesting that the trend towards a more relaxed attitude is expected to continue. Inquiring minds want to know.

A more relaxed attitude in NEP would be great, although it won't quite be the same these days since - after the Bali bombing - I never feel entirely comfortable when having a beer in NEP or any other venue in Bangkok popular with Westerners.

Well, G1, I guess it might be some kind of indication the the atmosphere is changing.

The bar owners never had a problem with the machines. Really, neither did the police. We were asked to remove the machines due to concerns regarding the sale of condoms in night life venues, you know, maybe that would lead to promiscuity among the staff (???).

After the machines were removed we then had to wade through lots of red tape before we could reinstall them again. It's a short and uninteresting story that might be better told over a beer sometime at Woodstock. My treat.

Archived