Driving school??

whosyourdaddy

my wife is considering learning how to drive so in the event we go back the the great white north, she will be able to drive.. Anyone know of a driving school in BKK (central) that will teach students to drive with out the purchase of a car?

i would prefer a defensive driving course and not some cowboy school that will pay off the examiner

Thanks

WYD

My TG is taking driving lessons now. I think it was 6000 baht for a 15 hour course. Will check details and let you know...

You don't need a car, they provide one.

Just a word of warning - my wife completed one of those '15 hour' courses and I was amazed to hear her instructor say 'she's fine to drive now'. Despite the fact that she had passed her Thai drivers test (not sure you can really call it a test) she was absolutely incapable of driving in the city without many close calls.

During her 4th lesson, her instructor fell asleep, and she demolished a wall in central Chiang Mai, narrowly missing several pedestrians. The instructor had the cheek to ask her to pay for the damage to the car (no way!).

Since finishing her course I have spent many hours driving with her trying to rid her of some of the bad driving practices she had been taught.

My advice - go with your wife on her first lesson and check out the instructor. There doesn't seem to be any professional qualification needed to teach driving. If he's no good, change.

Driving in THailand is a complete joke. ::

My TG got her drivers licence in BKK last year and I'll tell you how she got it.

First the 30-question theory test. You have to have a minumum of 25 out of 30. She had 27. Ok, that's still fine, but then the examination.

There were about 50 people, each of them in their own car in a queue without an instructor, driving in a little circuit which was only 100mx100m. That means you had to follow the right directions and stop when necessary. Follow the signs with a max. speed of 30-40 KM/h.

It took my TG (I checked my watch) exactly 6 minutes to complete the course. Could be much faster if she wasn't held up by other cars in front of her. There was a man at the end of the circuit ready to give you a "passed" or "failed-stamp".

She didn't pay for any instructor, she learned driving by herself till she was confident enough to go for the licence.

I think it's a waste to pay for an instructor here, better ask for some friend's help and then try driving by yourself.

Yes I am almost about to buy a car and sent her out in backcountry issan and teach her properly, but there is a certain thai way of doing things that I dont know about.. For example

I had a rent a car and was driving down a back city road and came across the set of cops who flagged me down. He asked me why did I have my headlights on during the day. Hmm instincitively I was about to argue with him about safety issues and how in canada all new cars have day-time running lights etc. But I just turned them off and drove off with my tail betwen my legs to advoid cops etc.

Worth get her to take lessons here sothat she knows the rudiments of driving before going to the great white north. Then get her lessons there. My wife failed her test in the Mmphur but paid for the license. She is driving nothing without further lessons. I'll get her to take REAL lessons when she hits Europe.

Zaad,

Your last sentence sums it up. The "driving schools" are a joke, crappy old cars with instructors that are just useless. I spent a few thousand Baht learning that lesson. At the end of the course she knew no more than when we started so took the job on myself and she picked it all up quite easily.

He asked me why did I have my headlights on during the day.

I'm not surprised you got stopped. Headlights are optional ONLY during darkness :: . Here in CM most Thais seem to opt not to use them. I suspect they think they are saving money ::. Sure makes driving at night interesting.

Archived