What are the regular working hours in Thailand?

I have learned that the standard deal for bargirls seems to be two days off in a month; no vacations except for the public holidays when the bars are forced to be closed. Is this the whole truth?

Is this something specific to farang-oriented bars, or standard across all service industries: restaurants, hotels, shops, laundries, etc.? Is it the same thing in factories? Is there actually any legislation regulating the amount of days off workers can/must get?

Which kinds of businesses provide free weekends and annual leave?

Wagner

Businesses that are open seven days a week (restuarants, hotels, shopping malls, factories, etc) all seem to follow the 28 day per month schedule for workers. That is why working in a bank, government office, or big office building is so attractive - these jobs only rquire five days per week.

Busineses get away with this because the supply of jobs is so much less than the number of job-seekers. And employers are very cheap - they will not hire extra staff to allow seven day operation with each employee getting one or two days off during that time.

Rough!

"Let the good times roll!"

Stone Soup

Agreed. I too find that almost all non-tourist, non-resaturant places are a M-F 8:00AM or 8:30AM to 5:00PM operation with a few open 1/2 day Sat as well...

Our BKK office is like this, we pay our staff for a 5.75 day workweek. Initial compensation package includes 10 days vacation, 7 sick days and 5 optional days per year.

--UPSer

JB--

As I understand the local compensation package, when our "hourly" staff (ie non-management) works in excess of 10 hours per day or more than 4 hours on Saturday, their hourly pay rate does kick-up... I don't recall if it's 1.5X or what, but I do know that the rate does rise..

--UPSer

JB--

Our offices are pretty much run in a western style... Paid bi-weekly, benefits, vacations, etc... Of course, the pay and benefits are all adjusted to the local market.. And YES, our staff do know exactly how many hours they worked. We use a computer time clock.

--UPSer

Archived