The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, well sort of......

Hi,

lets start with the Bad......I hate to do this but nothing is sadder than seeing a place going downhill wich you liked. Sadly enough it is the Hunter Pub Soi 4, a place i liked a lot in my past trips to LOS.

But here is the bad news. Yesterday i walke in with my very special lady to get a good meal for the start of the evening. My first impression was quiet good, they remodelt the front and it looked good. So we sat down near the bar and take a look at the menu.

It seemed to me that they are connected somehow to the Warbler because one of the cards were from there. So nothing bad came to my mind because the reputation of the Warblerfood is good.

I ordered from the (short) Hunter Pub menu and my friend did from the Warblermenu. So far so good. 15 minutes later the Mixedgrill i ordered was served and looked good. So i started to eat while my friend was wainting for here orders to arrive.

It turned out that the best thing about the Mixedgrill were the french fries. The meat was, well how should i say "strange"? One piece was some chicken which never made it to the pan, it was simply raw, thr cook seemed to have througn it in the pan for about 5 seconds.

The second piece was or should have been something like lamb i suppose, but i think the poor animal from wich this part was taken, was surly a wittness of the the times when New Sealand was still not colonialized by human mankind. I am not hard to frightend but this does the trick easyly.

The third piece was obviously beef, but because it was dry as the dersert i couldnt enjoy it to the fullest, could it be that the cook have fried i two times instead of one time for the chicken and one time for the beef?

But the tricky part comes now. What was with the orders of my lovely lady? From minute to minute i saw here mood go down. After 30 minutes nothing had happend. A simple tunasalad and a sandwich seemed to be a real challange for the cook.

After i just gave up on my dish the dark cloudes were breaking out and my lady left with a face like medusa, if i had looked at her closer i would have turned to stone. Shit like this could ruin your whole evening.

I dont know if the Hunter Pub is indeed connected with the Warbler, if not then i am sorry, but if so, then i know that some of the guys here are able to let the owner know that there is perhaps something not so well going on at the Hunter Pub. At the End of my trip i will give him a try again to see if it was a black out. Until then i stay away.

And now for the Good, i love to do this.

How about a restaurant wich: 1.Has very good food (thai and european), 2. is cheap, 3. Has a friendly and fast service and this all has not changed since my very first trip 2 and a half year ago.

Then Ladys and Gentleman i would recomand a visit at the Vinothequ. Its easy to found above the DK/Bookstore wich is on the right side of Sukumvit (even mumbers), nearby the bridge for crossing Sukumvit short behinde Soi 8.

You go up a small stairway and find yourself in a nicley decorated restaurant, with a large wine collection on the left a small bar on the right. The aircon is not too cold and the music is not too loud. If you like some wine for dinner here you find a fair collection to fair prices (for LOS at least).

The thaifood is dirt cheap. Last time after a pretty large dinner with a friend i pulle out 300 Baht and here comment was "That is not enough!" But for four maindishes, 4 Drinks and the tip the 300 were enough. I never get anything there what was not to my likeing.

Even the european food tasted like i am used to it from home. If you want a small and friendly place where you can relax on a hot Bangkok noon, go for it, i never regreted it.

And now the Ugly. This is a observation i am making right now and i would like to know if it is just me or if somebody have the same feeling.

I cant help myself but i have the impression that the quality of service in general, is taking a dive, in more than just a few restaurants here in Thailand. I know that the staff is poorly paid here but more and more i get the impression that if you come as a new customer in a restaurant you are pretty much ignored by the people who call themselves waitresses or waiters.

All i do now is waiting, waiting and waiting. Because i like to write good things about food i will not go into details. I am just interested if somebody out there has the same feelings too or if i am wrong. Until now i always was praising the service in Thailand.

Just a thougth..........

mupfel

Interesting report mupfel.

Yes, Santos owns both Warbler's and Hunter's Pub. I have not been to Hunter's for awhile mainly because I enjoy going to Warbler's so much. I was there Halloween evening and had something they call the Sizzler Steak. 250 baht and it was delicious. Also, a couple of the girls made up my face to make me look even worse (if that is possible) and off I went to NEP for my night of Halloween fun.

I will pass this on to Santos although he sometimes reads this board and may have seen this already. I am sure he will be very concerned as he takes a lot of pride in the quality of food and service in his places. And, this includes Titty Twister too by the way as he is often there at closing making the place rock.

As to service in general in the LOS, I think it is not good. But, you know, over the years I just got used to this. I think when you come from a country where you have good service, you notice this more. I don't like bad service either, and depending on the severity of it, I will complain. Most of the time, though, I just deal with it, especially if it is not a big problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

sorry for the missing last report on Hunters Pub. But because my first 2 weeks in BKK were very unpleasent (yes even that can happen) and the following 2 weeks in Pattaya were VERY pleasent :D i didnt manage to visit the place a second time. But its good to hear that my report may have a positive effect on it. I really dont like to bash on something but was a bit upset at this happened.

By the way, where i live i am happy when the staff dont hit me when i make an order. So i used to be very happy with the service in LOS. But i have to say that this time in Pattaya i would rate the servicequality higher than in BKK.

mupfel

When I'm in Thailand I go to Hunter's a lot and have never found a problem with the food. In fact, I go there for the food - specifically; the Steak Sandwich (no.4 on the menu, folks!). Always excellent and fairly cheap to boot, coming with its own fries. I can vouch for the Steak Sizzler too. Yum. :p

However, last time I decided to order a steak at Warbler's (during the World Cup) I got a very disappointing stringy affair. :( Warbler's also seems noticeably more expensive than Hunter's so I tend to stick to the latter. Service good in both places.

Interesting about the Vinotheque. I've passed it so many times over the years and yet never been in.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi bibblies,

I understand Warbler's will be closing December 31, and Santos and company will be moving everything to Hunter's, which will then be called "The Warbler's & Hunter's." Any thoughts on what the food/menu situation might be like after that happens?

Garuda

Archived